30 deck boxes for dwelling pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I'm doing the underground on a McMansion here and part of the scope is the pool equipment. There are 30 LED lights in the pool. Can I bring these into a 3R gutter the feed the gutter with a couple trannys that comply with 680.23(A)(2)? The fixtures will be installed in a 2" PVC sched 40 below the waterline.

Here is how the pool guy had them racked up.

Averutinpool1.jpg

This is how we racked them for a gutter.

Averitinpool2.jpg

And just for the heck of it, is this enough pipe to make a resi pool work???

Averutinpool3.jpg

Jim W in Tampa

I agree with Jim here. 680.24 does not show any exceptions for LEDs.

Looking at the pipe runs, I am wondering if there is maybe about 800degrees of bends in those runs.......;)

The pipe work is very sloppy. Hate to ever need to work on any leaks. If i ran pipe like that i would be fired

The issue with lights is voltage not amps . LED changes nothing that i know of

dmagyar

Transition from 2"?

Transition from 2"?

Just a few questions popped came to mind: what is being used for the transition from the 2" (housing?) the fixtures to what looks like the 3/4" routed to where the junction box is being planned? What is the wattage for each of the lights and voltage, with respect to the potential voltage drop?

On the hydro side, I'm curious why they didn't use sweep 90's instead of the elbows. It also seems like 3" is the largest pipe being used? With the distance to the pump pad they're inviting a huge total dynamic head. I wouldn't want to be paying for the electrical power it's going to take to make water flow through all that pipe.

wireguru

I'm not a resi guy or a 680 guy, I'm questioning if a gutter is OK or if 680.24 is a player with the LED's.

the nonsense i spoke of was construction of these mcmansions with rediculous pools and whatnot. i wasnt directing anything at you, sorry if it sounded like i was

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Nevermind...........

I think you will need 30 deck boxes and I would spread those pipes out.

Last edited:

chris kennedy

Occupation
Just a few questions popped came to mind: what is being used for the transition from the 2" (housing?) the fixtures to what looks like the 3/4" routed to where the junction box is being planned? What is the wattage for each of the lights and voltage, with respect to the potential voltage drop?

Those are 1" PVC, voltage is 12V (so I'm told) and wattage is unknown, awaiting cut sheet.

On the hydro side, I'm curious why they didn't use sweep 90's instead of the elbows. It also seems like 3" is the largest pipe being used? With the distance to the pump pad they're inviting a huge total dynamic head. I wouldn't want to be paying for the electrical power it's going to take to make water flow through all that pipe.
They are pool guys, have to hope they know whats up.

the nonsense i spoke of was construction of these mcmansions with rediculous pools and whatnot. i wasnt directing anything at you, sorry if it sounded like i was

It wouldn't bother me if you came right out and called me stupid, I'm married, hear it all the time.

Nevermind...........

I think you will need 30 deck boxes and I would spread those pipes out.

Who asked you?:grin:

I have an underground inspection tomorrow and will meet the inspector for the first time. Everything I posted has been hear-say, more info tomorrow.

Thanks all.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Those are 1" PVC, voltage is 12V (so I'm told) and wattage is unknown, awaiting cut sheet.

They are pool guys, have to hope they know whats up...

Sure ! They always know :)

It wouldn't bother me if you came right out and called me stupid, I'm married, hear it all the time..
You get by that light ? Lucky man

Who asked you?:grin:

I have an underground inspection tomorrow and will meet the inspector for the first time. Everything I posted has been hear-say, more info tomorrow.

Thanks all.

"Inquiring minds want to know"... Let us know what he says, please

jetlag

Study the low voltage wiring system for air port runway lights , they use both current and voltage transfomers , some in series . Has no voltage drop over entire length of runway . Nice but expensive . these are the ones down the center , You have to saw the concrete all the way to install on existing runway .

Jim W in Tampa

Typical GC did not call the stuco men in first. You can not use logic when dealing with the rich. Miami has plenty of rich that could care less about cost. Pool guy sold them on LED just to had a few more grand of profit. Do let us see the finished pool or is it an ool

lakee911

The pipe work is very sloppy. Hate to ever need to work on any leaks. If i ran pipe like that i would be fired

No kidding. That would be a huge mess to get through to find the leak. It would be easier to just bypass the whole pipe.

My bet is they either don't know or just don't care. I mean, whats it to them? Water flows and they can't say it doesn't work. I agree though, poor design...

Study the low voltage wiring system for air port runway lights , they use both current and voltage transfomers , some in series . Has no voltage drop over entire length of runway . Nice but expensive . these are the ones down the center , You have to saw the concrete all the way to install on existing runway .

Do you have some documents on this, plans, specs or something I might study? Sounds interesting.

Typical GC did not call the stuco men in first.

Things like that really bug me. Fortunately there are so many conduits that seeing behind it might not be possible so lack of stucco would not be a big deal. Personally, I'd want the conduit painted to match the stucco so if they painted the wall behind it, it would be okay too.

I'd love to see more pictures of this install. Where is it located?

Thanks! :grin:

chris kennedy

Occupation
what is being used for the transition from the 2" (housing?) the fixtures to what looks like the 3/4" routed to where the junction box is being planned?

Averutinpoolundergroung116.jpg

Averutinpoolundergroung115.jpg

I have an underground inspection tomorrow and will meet the inspector for the first time.

That didn't go very well. I saw a city vehicle pulling away and found out I was signed off. I have a couple thousand feet of conduit in the ground here so the fact that this gentlemen did a thorough inspection without me seeing him dumbfounds me.

What type of LED's are being used? Spec sheet?

So I finally run into the pool guy today and ask him if the cut-sheets have been submitted to the developer or Live Wire. He says he doesn't think so. Well then who the heck approved these luminaries?

I'm going to a real job tomorrow (new restaurant trim-out with coordination between all parties involved:roll:) but will post the cuts when I get them. Pool guys swears they are Dry Nitch fixtures.

Status
Not open for further replies.