Data and Electrical panels in same closet

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortcircuit1

Just wondering if we can have both electrical and data equipment in the same closet like a panel and data equipment.Is there something in NEC that this is prohibited?

Thanks,
shortcircuit!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
As long as clearances and escape routs are met they can be in the same room however, the data equipment may need to be cooled and the heat generated by the electrical equipment wouldn't help matters.

Roger

shortcircuit1

As long as clearances and escape routs are met they can be in the same room however, the data equipment may need to be cooled and the heat generated by the electrical equipment wouldn't help matters.

Roger

Yes i was looking at it and the only thing i can see is width and depth of the working space.We can have small split system unit installed in the closet to cool off!:thumbsup:

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
Just wondering if we can have both electrical and data equipment in the same closet like a panel and data equipment.Is there something in NEC that this is prohibited?

Thanks,
shortcircuit!

If you are talking about small scale data equipment like a few ethernet cables, small hubs and perhaps routers, you can install them if you have required working clearances. I've done a few of them.

However, if you install big data centers for multiple tenants that require several servers for example, it is best to have an area dedicated for the purpose. Data center rooms differ in design depending on the current situation or retrofit.
The most preferred design is the raised floor. It is basically a floor above a slab. This allows for future add-ons where technicians would remove a portion (usually like a tile that weighs about 100 lbs.) that allow them to add or modify wiring.

Some designs have wiring access and HVAC systems overhead.

There is a company that specializes in these activities. . . Equinix based in Southern California.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
the local AHJ usually has more precise info on this specific Q.

shortcircuit1

If you are talking about small scale data equipment like a few ethernet cables, small hubs and perhaps routers, you can install them if you have required working clearances. I've done a few of them.

However, if you install big data centers for multiple tenants that require several servers for example, it is best to have an area dedicated for the purpose. Data center rooms differ in design depending on the current situation or retrofit.
The most preferred design is the raised floor. It is basically a floor above a slab. This allows for future add-ons where technicians would remove a portion (usually like a tile that weighs about 100 lbs.) that allow them to add or modify wiring.

Some designs have wiring access and HVAC systems overhead.

There is a company that specializes in these activities. . . Equinix based in Southern California.

I have seen the clearances in NEC for electrical panels but are there any clearances for data hubs in the closets?This is a a typical multi family dwelling with closet on each floor that has the HUB and cables go from there to S-ONE boxes in the units.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I have seen the clearances in NEC for electrical panels but are there any clearances for data hubs in the closets?
That, once again, is a matter of BICSI rules. I don't know those rules, but it would surprise me if they allowed less than 3 feet in front of any data-related panel.

publicgood

We have LAN rooms w/ UPS panels in them in both of my buildings, they are cooled by the supplemental system.

I believe BICSI supports this same room concept up to 50KVA, then separate room.

NFPA 111 wants UPSs in separate rooms from equipment over 1000A and greater than 150V-G.

Status
Not open for further replies.