Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NM cable wet/damp locations

NM cable wet/damp locations

How many here are still running indoor NM cable in a Carflex or sealtite sleeve to a piece of outdoor equipment? I have been doing it for years and never had an issue with it until now. Seems as though now we have to either transition to THHN or UF type cable for this application. Inspector is considering it a damp location and will not allow indoor NM to be used. Have I been violating the code all along, or has it just not been enforced. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by nizak View Post
    How many here are still running indoor NM cable in a Carflex or sealtite sleeve to a piece of outdoor equipment?
    I remember my master taught me to use NM when I apprenticed, but when I started working on my own, the inspectors (in a more rigorously enforced area) caused me to understand the limitation of NM to dry locations.
    Another Al in Minnesota

Have I been violating the code all along, or has it just not been enforced.
    Both.

How many here are still running indoor NM cable in a Carflex or sealtite sleeve to a piece of outdoor equipment? I have been doing it for years and never had an issue with it until now. Seems as though now we have to either transition to THHN or UF type cable for this application. Inspector is considering it a damp location and will not allow indoor NM to be used. Have I been violating the code all along, or has it just not been enforced. Thanks.
    The code changed to say that the inside of raceways above grade is considered a damp location.
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    The code changed to say that the inside of raceways above grade is considered a damp location.
    I disagree with that, in my opinion the code has considered that a wet location for many code cycles but recently the code was changed to make it perfectly clear.

Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    I disagree with that, in my opinion the code has considered that a wet location for many code cycles but recently the code was changed to make it perfectly clear.

I didn't say when it changed.
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

I don't run it in flex whips to equipment outside(use THHN), but I have sleeved it in short stubs from an outdoor panel into the attic/crawlspace above or below the panel. I'm not going to run it in conduit all the way down the side of a house or anything, even though that's not any less of a violation than what I have been doing.

I hate to say it, but we're in such dry country over here, I'll keep doing it this way until I get called on it. I hate UF, and really don't care to use it until I absolutely have too.

Do you transition from NM to THWN or UF when connecting to an exterior wall mount coach light/wall pack or generator power inlet box on a residential building?....or do you just run NM straight to the exterior fixture/inlet box?

Bernard

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard1599 View Post
    Do you transition from NM to THWN or UF when connecting to an exterior wall mount coach light/wall pack or generator power inlet box on a residential building?....or do you just run NM straight to the exterior fixture/inlet box?

Bernard
    Straight in.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derék

Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    Straight in.

Have you ever been called out for it? 2008 - 334.12 (B) (4)?

Bernard