Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NM cable wet/damp locations

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard1599 View Post
    Have you ever been called out for it? 2008 - 334.12 (B) (4)?

Bernard
    Not for a box/enclosure. AKAIK NEC seems to think it is not a damp/wet location.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derék

I am guessing this is it:

334.10(A) Type NM. Type NM cable shall be permitted as
    follows:
    (1) For both exposed and concealed work in normally dry
    locations except as prohibited in 334.10(3)

Derék

Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    I am guessing this is it:

334.10(A) Type NM. Type NM cable shall be permitted as
    follows:
    (1) For both exposed and concealed work in normally dry
    locations except as prohibited in 334.10(3)
    Hi Derek,

I may be wrong, but I was always under the impression that the location (damp or wet as defined in Article 100) of the box or conduit determined the type of wire to be used.

Regards,
    Bernard

Running NM to an outdoor panel, light, etc. was never much of an issue here, at least for me, until the last year or 2. Runs starting & ending outdoors were looked at differently. NM in sealtight was done more times than I could count by everyone I worked with.

Since NM now has THHN conductors, it should be no problem to strip out & use them outdoors, but most inspectors here want to see the print, which the conductors still do not have.

I use THHN now for all outdoor conduits & boxes. I run home runs in THHN to a j box in crawl space or take UF home run to 1st device, whichever is easier. The THHN is much easier to pull in if a box is easily doable. I use NM to any outdoor device that has the box inside the wall. No one has challenged me on that. In the wall is considered inside.
    Yes, I'll be happy to do a first class job for less than anyone else and take a dollar a week for 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
    I use THHN now for all outdoor conduits & boxes. I run home runs in THHN to a j box in crawl space or take UF home run to 1st device, whichever is easier. The THHN is much easier to pull in if a box is easily doable. I use NM to any outdoor device that has the box inside the wall. No one has challenged me on that. In the wall is considered inside.
    I just want to clarify that you are using dual rated thhn-- thhn/thwn

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard1599 View Post
    Hi Derek,

I may be wrong, but I was always under the impression that the location (damp or wet as defined in Article 100) of the box or conduit determined the type of wire to be used.

Regards,
    Bernard
    Any conduit outside is a wet location.

However, most people(including every inspector I have had) will say/allow you to punch through an exterior wall and terminate NM directly into a disco/panel/box. It has always been debatable in my mind whether this is 100% legal, but I am not bucking the system on this: It is in my favor.

Derék

Inside a raceway is wet location however a panel or wp enclosure is not a raceway. If an exterior panel were wet location then those breakers and terminations better be listed for wet location. I have not seen a breaker listed for damp location although their may be one.

NM is one topic where I want to say "A pox on all of you!"

The question boils down to: is NM safe, or not?

Personal arguments aside, let's look at the positively schitzo position of the NEC:
    NM is considered proven and safe, as evidenced by the expanding acceptance of it.
    NM is considered unreliable, delicate, and dangerous, as evidenced by the AFCI issue.
    Modern materials make NM as water-resistant as a submarine ... yet we've disallowed its' use in even slightly damp areas.

Then there is the perennial argument about running NM in pipe, for distances short and long. Sometimes the discussions sound like missionaries arguing over which veggies the Cannibals should add to the stew pot!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    I just want to clarify that you are using dual rated thhn-- thhn/thwn
    Yes Dennis, good point. I say THHN meaning dual rated. I don't recall the last time I saw any wire that was not THHN/THWN. Some also listed MTW here & there. Now that I've said that, I will get all the odd rolls that are not dual rated & be in a mess.
    Yes, I'll be happy to do a first class job for less than anyone else and take a dollar a week for 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    Inside a raceway is wet location however a panel or wp enclosure is not a raceway. If an exterior panel were wet location then those breakers and terminations better be listed for wet location. I have not seen a breaker listed for damp location although their may be one.
    So are you saying we can legitimately pass through an exterior wall directly into the back of a panel on the exterior of the wall and still use NM cable?