Smoke Detector Installation Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayseeger

We have a buildout happening in our state owned building, they are tieing new smokes to our existing system. Instead of installing t bar hangers and boxes, they toggle bolted the bases to the ceiling tiles and insist thats fine and in fact its standard practice. I worked installing fire alarm for a contractor for a few years and never saw such cheezy crap.
The installation instructions for the smoke detectore say to mount the bases to a box. Does it not void the UL listing to toggle bolt them to the ceiling tiles when the installation instructions say to mount it to a box?
NFPA 72 1-5.5.4 Install according to NFPA 70
NFPA 70 760.52( in 2005) or 760.130( in 2008) install in accordance with 110.3(B)

Also NFPA 70 Handbook 760.52(B) says 760.52b requires mechanical protection for splices or termination points. The contractor has just free run plenum rated cable through the ceiling tile and through the base and terminated without and mechanical protection or "strain relief" holding the cables to their base.

Am i wrong that they need t bar hangers and a box with mechanical protection?????

pete m.

If they are not following the manufacturers installation instructions for a "listed" product then you have a clear violation of 110.3(B)

Pete

p.s. I've witnessed and defected jobs for similar attempts...

nhfire77

I agree its hack work, and it very common when no one is looking.

Your code citations are correct. but, if its a state owned building the NEC may not apply.

cadpoint

Where is the Va Dept that over sees State Building Construction in all this?

All you need to do is get them involved, I know ours is strong enough to put a stop order on that quaility of installation, I could almost promise that yours has the same power! ;)

ceb58

Not sure about Va. but in NC we follow NEC code that is adopted at the time plus the Dept. of Administration has additional requirement for elect. installations. There requirements are far more stringent than the NEC. Things like not using the conduit as an EGC, no circ. less than 20amp., every thing in conduit except whips for lighting or vibration and so on. All fire alarm work I have done in state buildings were ran in conduit to boxes with t-bars or box was supported with all thread from a bar joist.
I think the contractor is going to be in for a rude awakening when the state inspectors walk in.

rayseeger

Thanks for the responses. The Electrical Contractor is going to correct it for the low voltage contractor. I find it interesting that the low voltage contractor says they have documentation from the manufacturer that their installation is perfectly acceptable to them. They have yet to produce the document to me though.
They were trying to say that the connection between the base and the head constitutes a box, that would mean that they still need to support the box in some way other than toggle bolts to ceiling tile.
As we speak they are cutting open walls and moving signaling devices up because they didnt follow the NFPA or the specs for the job when they roughed in the horn strobes as they are all too low!!!

nhfire77

Thanks for the responses. The Electrical Contractor is going to correct it for the low voltage contractor. I find it interesting that the low voltage contractor says they have documentation from the manufacturer that their installation is perfectly acceptable to them. They have yet to produce the document to me though.
They were trying to say that the connection between the base and the head constitutes a box, that would mean that they still need to support the box in some way other than toggle bolts to ceiling tile.
As we speak they are cutting open walls and moving signaling devices up because they didnt follow the NFPA or the specs for the job when they roughed in the horn strobes as they are all too low!!!

Not all smoke detectors require a back box. I.E. System Sensor 2W-B can be surface mounted on drywall (but not ceiling tiles!)

Glad to here they are fixing it.

dhalleron

Not all smoke detectors require a back box. I.E. System Sensor 2W-B can be surface mounted on drywall (but not ceiling tiles!)

Glad to here they are fixing it.

This is one of those cases where if you don't read the installation instructions for every product you install, then you could easily get it wrong. One brand smoke detector might require a box and another brand will not.

renosteinke

Since this is a commercial site, it's very possible that the 'smoke detectors' are part of a low voltage fire alarm system. If that's the case, the contractor may be correct.

rayseeger

Since this is a commercial site, it's very possible that the 'smoke detectors' are part of a low voltage fire alarm system. If that's the case, the contractor may be correct.

This is a commercial site, it's a addressible fire alarm system. I just dont see( since no opposing documentation was provided) how if the installation instructions clearly say to mount base to a box and offers no other mounting technique that the contractor is correct. 110.3b!

markstg

This is a commercial site, it's a addressible fire alarm system. I just dont see( since no opposing documentation was provided) how if the installation instructions clearly say to mount base to a box and offers no other mounting technique that the contractor is correct. 110.3b!

110.3(B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment
shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions
included in the listing or labeling.

How do you know that the instructions you are reading were "included in the listing or labeling". The mounting shown in the manufacturers instructions may be just what the manufacturer feel's is a good install.

rayseeger

Mark, I fully agree that the wording of 110.3b says "included in the listing and labeling" and not simply in the installation instructions, however, all throught my career as an electrician and in the apprenticeship, you treated the installation instructions and the listing as thats what you have to go by in the field. If you followed the installation instructions you installed it correctly as thats how the manufacturer intends the device to be installed.
I attempted to get more info from UL and was unable to find anything more and i have not heard back from the manufacturer yet.
I just think its poor workmanship.

iwire

Staff member
Mark, I fully agree that the wording of 110.3b says "included in the listing and labeling" and not simply in the installation instructions, however, all throught my career as an electrician and in the apprenticeship, you treated the installation instructions and the listing as thats what you have to go by in the field. If you followed the installation instructions you installed it correctly as thats how the manufacturer intends the device to be installed.
I attempted to get more info from UL and was unable to find anything more and i have not heard back from the manufacturer yet.
I just think its poor workmanship.

ULs position is that all instructions are part of the listing.

Status
Not open for further replies.