failed inspection on a existing wiring on a kitchen countertop

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

I have to imagine it the man I meet has retired, he seemed older than dirt and that was 8 to 10 years ago.

I dealt with that guy around the same time if not a couple of years prior. "I want two receptacles per circuit" "I want green wirenuts, no crimps" blah blah blah... :roll:

electricmanscott

What do you do to correct them? Do they all simply plant their feet in the mud and refuse to have an actual conversation about how and why they feel something you did was not in compliance with the minimum code standards?

When this guy told me "I like to see..." I stood there for a minute in silence and then just said "Why?". At which point he said "I'll let it go this time". had he insisted I do what he wanted I would have brought out the code book without hesitation.

After I get my final I'll be emailing him a list of relevant code articles for his reading pleasure. I'm sure he'll give a crap. :roll:

JWCELECTRIC

When this guy told me "I like to see..." I stood there for a minute in silence and then just said "Why?". At which point he said "I'll let it go this time". had he insisted I do what he wanted I would have brought out the code book without hesitation.

After I get my final I'll be emailing him a list of relevant code articles for his reading pleasure. I'm sure he'll give a crap. :roll:

Don't waste your time or energy, not worth it sometimes.

iwire

Staff member
I dealt with that guy around the same time if not a couple of years prior. "I want two receptacles per circuit" "I want green wirenuts, no crimps" blah blah blah... :roll:

That sounds about right.

I had dropped about 75' of 1" PVC between a couple of site poles, it was plenty deep enough but he would not pass it until I installed warning ribbon, which in itself would have been no problem if I had it in the truck but instead I had to waste couple of hours going to get some and have the guy come back in the afternoon to re-inspect.

The other time I installed some EBUs and asked him to go out and inspect he asked me if I was planing on being there. I said no, it is a public garage you can access it without me anytime.

He started raising his voice .... "Who is going to push the test button?"

I explained he could reach them no problem and once he pushed the test button it would stay in test for about 10 to 15 minutes.

He starts screaming ..... "I DON'T PUSH THE BUTTON, YOU PUSH THE BUTTON!"

At that point I stated laughing out loud .... it did not make it go better for me. :grin:

Jim W in Tampa

The way to deal with inspectors that do not know the code is complain to his boss. And i mean ride his case hard and get all the others to do the same. If he is out of line often enough and you complain loud enough his boss will get sick of the phone calls and will have a long talk with him. Most inspectors do not fall into this area but doing nothing will not change his ways. Let him know that every time he makes a wrong call that he will get called down. End result is he will be very careful about what he tags you on. Demand he site code numbers on each and every violation he writes. It works and I have done it.

As far as what the OP ran into might very well come down to what the permit was for.
Replace cabinets and counter tops to me is not a remodel but if contractor called it that on permit then we might be close to the problem. What else was done to the kitchen that might change what this job is called ? New floor covering ? Repaint ? New appliances ?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
The way to deal with inspectors that do not know the code is complain to his boss. And i mean ride his case hard and get all the others to do the same. If he is out of line often enough and you complain loud enough his boss will get sick of the phone calls and will have a long talk with him. Most inspectors do not fall into this area but doing nothing will not change his ways. Let him know that every time he makes a wrong call that he will get called down. End result is he will be very careful about what he tags you on. Demand he site code numbers on each and every violation he writes. It works and I have done it.

As far as what the OP ran into might very well come down to what the permit was for.
Replace cabinets and counter tops to me is not a remodel but if contractor called it that on permit then we might be close to the problem. What else was done to the kitchen that might change what this job is called ? New floor covering ? Repaint ? New appliances ?

For me to tell you what "I" want would require me getting out of my truck and actually looking at your job.:D

The thing with a kitchen remodel to is, how is the inspector supposed to know that the cabinets are layed out the same way they were before. If you can afford $10,000 to put in new cabinets and counters, I'm pretty sure the couple hundred bucks for GFCI receptacles to be where they're supposed to be, isn't going to break you.

iwire

Staff member
If you can afford $10,000 to put in new cabinets and counters, I'm pretty sure the couple hundred bucks for GFCI receptacles to be where they're supposed to be, isn't going to break you.

Nothing personal but that coming from an inspector makes my hair stand on end.

It is not your money, or the states money to decide what to do with.

Jim W in Tampa

Nothing personal but that coming from an inspector makes my hair stand on end.

It is not your money, or the states money to decide what to do with.

That I agree with you on.
They might have already been pushing the limit to afford what they did. They were happy with what they had electrically.

I recently redid formica my bar and island and replaced 1 counter top. The cost even doing it myself ended up higher than planned. Wife started with I want a new sink and of corse that means new faucets and sure dont want them old receptacles so here we go with 10 new gfi.
This is why we have jobs unpermitted. Just can't afford what the inspector wants added or upgraded.

Status
Not open for further replies.