Heat Trace and GFCI, GFEP

Status
Not open for further replies.

driley32

I have a situation where I have outdoor heat trace cables (2 @ approx. 100' @ 5w/ft.) that I would like to design to plug into outdoor receptacles (on the same circuit). I realize that by NEC code, I should put the circuit on a GFEP type breaker. My question is if I should utilize a GFCI receptacle for the outdoor location. According to my understanding this outdoor receptacle may trip as the threshold is much lower, however by code I am not supposed to utilize a standard receptacle outdoors. (This is an industrial setting so i can probably get by with a standard receptacle given that only qualified trained personnel will be in this area.) Any thoughts on how I can effectively meet code in this situation? (Also, too, I realize i can probably hard wire and not worry about the receptacle all together. I do like the idea of having this manual disconnect point.) Thoughts?

pete m.

Your installation may qualify for this exception to 210.8(B)(4)....

Exception No. 1 to (3) and (4): Receptacles that are not readily accessible and are supplied from a dedicated branch circuit for electric snow-melting or deicing equipment shall be permitted to be installed without GFCI protection.

Pete

raider1

Staff member
Your installation may qualify for this exception to 210.8(B)(4)....

Exception No. 1 to (3) and (4): Receptacles that are not readily accessible and are supplied from a dedicated branch circuit for electric snow-melting or deicing equipment shall be permitted to be installed without GFCI protection.

Pete

But 426.28 requires fixed outdoor deicing and snowmelting equipment to have GFPE protection.

Also 110.3(B) would require that if the installation instructions of the deicing equipment requires GFPE protection then it must be provided.

Chris

pete m.

But 426.28 requires fixed outdoor deicing and snowmelting equipment to have GFPE protection.

Also 110.3(B) would require that if the installation instructions of the deicing equipment requires GFPE protection then it must be provided.

Chris

Good points. I probably should have included that but the OP did say he was already utilizing GFPE. I thought his question was just about the exterior receptacle and requirements for GFCI protection of the receptacle.

Pete

driley32

That is correct, I'm already figuring on using GFEP protection in the form of a GFEP breaker, but my question was primarily about the outside receptacle. I guess personal protection wise they may be SOL, or I'm thinking to include the GFCI receptacle in the design and they can just replace it if they have problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.