6/12 panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Would a main lug load Center that is rated 6 space/ 12 circuits require a main disconnect ?

jeremy.zinkofsky

Would a main lug load Center that is rated 6 space/ 12 circuits require a main disconnect ?

Not necessarily. Is it fed directly from the secondary of an XFMR? NEC requires that the feeder conductors be protected by an OCPD. How is this panel connected?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
It is fed directly from the meter base. It is an outdoor panel.

It sounds, to me, like the answer lies with how many breaker handles have to be flipped to de-energize the loads supplied from this 6/12 panel. Six handles max allows the panel to be supplied through main lugs.

nizak

Six tandem breakers equals 12 throws.

Would it be looked at as what was installed at the time of the inspection, 6 single pole breakers,or what it could be potentially configured to with 6 tandems

MAC702

Six tandem breakers equals 12 throws.

Would it be looked at as what was installed at the time of the inspection, 6 single pole breakers,or what it could be potentially configured to with 6 tandems

Time of inspection. You could use a 12/24 panel, as long as only six breakers were installed. Or you could use the 6/12 with 3 tandem breakers.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
How long of a finish nail can you buy?:cool:

That's funny but here's the true, part... back in the day before the code required listed handle ties I would use a piece of 10AWG solid to tie SqD breakers together and I know that was a more substantial tie than the cheap piece of junk, plastic name brand handle ties SqD sells.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

kwired

Electron manager
It is fed directly from the meter base. It is an outdoor panel.
Presuming that means it is service conductors supplying it - NEC permits up to six service disconnecting means, but the catch here may be looking at the instructions for the panel. I bet they say something very similar to "suitable for use as service equipment when main breaker is installed".

QO version of this panel I'm pretty sure says something like that, you can back feed a main breaker and use proper hold down kit - this of course cuts down on number of "spaces" available as you use some for the main.

I won't say I have never violated this though:ashamed1:

Status
Not open for further replies.