Overkill

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
What is the most overkill that you have seen on an electrical installation?

I was just thinking, imagine that!

I know a guy that back in the 60's installed 2 - 200 AMP panels in a 1800SF bi-level.

He ran a seperate 20 AMP circuit for every outlet in the home.

In the hills of Ohio. At that time no licensed electricians or certified inspectors. He just wanted it.

Bet we would all like to have customers like that today!

mxslick

About the most I have seen so far is running 7(!) dedicated circuits to a sound rack that could easily and safely had been served with 3 circuits.

Some feel that my insistence on dedicated neutrals to my sound and video equipment racks is overkill. :grin:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Installing 2-stainless steel, 400 amp, Type 4X panels in a kitchen because the engineer thought that they might get splashed with some water from the sink 12' away. Already had the standard panels on site which will now probably end up in the dumpster.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Small lake house had to have 400 amp service, 2 @200 amp disconnects. One dissconnect serves house. The other one runs to a 200 amp, 40 space MBP in boathouse. 2@1/2 hp boat lift, 1@1/2hp well pump, maybe 20 lites, 2 paddle fans, and convience receptacles.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
Two 1600 Amp 480V Feeds to two manufacturing lines despite the fact that what I was seeing added up to about 600 amps for both. Final load, 500 amps for both.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
EMT an entire house, a residential competitor had a customer that wanted EMT throughout a wood studded house, he hired me to run the conduit because he didn't know how. Lots of couplings! No M/C cable.
A code required practice for more than half the population of Illinois.

Status
Not open for further replies.