Inspection Requests - Time frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken In NJ

Just wondering if anyone has had a LONG wait after calling in for an inspection, to get one.

Called today 11/23 hoping to get a rough inspection on Monday the 29th and they said NO WAY .. but they could put me in for Dec 8th ??

This is the first time in all my years to be put off for that long. Most times 2-3 days at most. I understand that there is a Holiday .. in the mix .. but come on NINE working days ?? Guess I better call in for the final now :grin:

Also, the town has full time inspectors .. not like some with part timers.

Any NJ guys or anyone else ever have this happen ? First for us :confused:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
You call in the day before, by 4:00 PM, we will be out there the next day. Now the problem seems to be that people will call on Saturday or Sunday and we don't show up until Tuesday, because they are not thinking working days.

JES2727

Many NJ municipalities are experiencing the same thing. Due to budgetary constraints most all of them have been forced to scale back the manpower, put everyone on furlough for a period of time, or go to a 4 day week. Either way, it spells a reduction of services and large backlogs. I've definitely noticed it more this year than previous years, after the shake-up in Trenton.

Sam Moore

Just wondering if anyone has had a LONG wait after calling in for an inspection, to get one.

Called today 11/23 hoping to get a rough inspection on Monday the 29th and they said NO WAY .. but they could put me in for Dec 8th ??

This is the first time in all my years to be put off for that long. Most times 2-3 days at most. I understand that there is a Holiday .. in the mix .. but come on NINE working days ?? Guess I better call in for the final now :grin:

Average 2 days, longest 3 days...nowadays, around here inspectors are sitting around waiting for something to inspect

cadpoint

The way things are, and the jobs that I've seen lately - its not uncommon to have those rough-in production numbers down and know, to call in...
nothin personal!

We have Phone-in-Service and with "Weekend" considerations in play...

If it's a State job in most cases they will give one their, "I'll be back in town when statement..."

Even as Bad as it is, I can't believe sometimes where as far out as a budget item might be, they (any) State, forgets that construction leads to commerce!

robwire

By NJ state construction code law they are required to give you an inspection within 3 business days,
CHAPTER 23. UNIFORM CONSTRUCTION CODE
SUBCHAPTER 2. ADMINISTRATION AND ENFORCEMENT; PROCESS
N.J.A.C. 5:23-2

2. Inspections shall be performed within three business days of the time for which it was
requested. The work shall not proceed in a manner which will preclude the inspection until it has
been made.

Call Susan down in Trenton and I am sure you will get your inspection the next day.

Last edited:

Sam Moore

I actually believe it is. You should have more time to do it right and I have more time to look at it and make sure you did.

Really it is, as long as the inspector is right, it makes me a better electrician and inspector myself...it good to learn from mistakes and good to be thorough...

always willing to take a little criticism as long as it comes with a smile :cool:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
By NJ state construction code law they are required to give you an inspection within 3 business days,
Call Susan down in Trenton and I am sure you will get your inspection the next day.

however......
You may not like the result.:grin:

Ken In NJ

2. Inspections shall be performed within three business days of the time for which it was
requested. The work shall not proceed in a manner which will preclude the inspection until it has
been made.

THANK-YOU... THANK-YOU... THANK-YOU !!! I knew I heard of that before .. Guess I will be getting the inspection sooner then Dec 9th :grin:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

been made.

In Ohio if the inspection is not performed in the required time, it IS a license to continue work.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I recently waited 23 days for a rough inspection in Northern NJ. HO's are so mad (paying two mortgages so every day counts) that they're thinking about some sort of legal action.

Ken In NJ

I recently waited 23 days for a rough inspection in Northern NJ. HO's are so mad (paying two mortgages so every day counts) that they're thinking about some sort of legal action.

Thats JUST wrong !!

The poor couple that we are building this Dry-Cleaning plant for have dumped every $$ they have to their name into this project. And borrowed a boat-load more to get it open.

They had 3 months free rent to do the build-out .. which was ALL used up plus some waiting for permits to be issued. Which by the way, were EXPEDITED to the tune 2K plus above the normal permit fees.

The job is pretty much at a stand still awaiting inspections now.

Its truly sad that a town makes it this tough to open a business in this economy

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Thats JUST wrong !!

The poor couple that we are building this Dry-Cleaning plant for have dumped every $$ they have to their name into this project. And borrowed a boat-load more to get it open.

They had 3 months free rent to do the build-out .. which was ALL used up plus some waiting for permits to be issued. Which by the way, were EXPEDITED to the tune 2K plus above the normal permit fees.

The job is pretty much at a stand still awaiting inspections now.

Its truly sad that a town makes it this tough to open a business in this economy

I bet your local news would love this story!

CopperTone

Massachusetts law states " Electrical installations shall not be concealed or covered from view until inspected by the inspector of wires within and not more than 24 hours for exterior excavations nor more than 72 hours for interior installations after proper notice to the inspector, Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays excluded."

check your state or local laws

electricmanscott

Massachusetts law states " Electrical installations shall not be concealed or covered from view until inspected by the inspector of wires within and not more than 24 hours for exterior excavations nor more than 72 hours for interior installations after proper notice to the inspector, Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays excluded."

check your state or local laws

I've only had a problem once in umpteen years. The inspector "couldn't make it" until a week later. I told the GC wait 72 hours then keep the job going. The inspector didn't really give a hoot.

tekelec

Occupation
Electrician
I have experienced the same thing, up to a weeks wait for an inspection. I believe it is due to the municpalities cutting hours, and furloughing Fridays. Inspectors tell me they are doing the best they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.