2005 NEC Article 250.120 B

Status
Not open for further replies.

aksparky

This article says that an aluminum grounding conductor cannot be terminated within 18 inches of the earth.

Is a splice regarded as a termination theres no definition in code?

What if the splice if inside a junction box or handhole?

I need to make a splice in an aluminum grounding conductor and transition from type USE Cabe to XHHW thats why I am asking.

aksparky

Sorry for any confusion.

I need to splice the grounded conductor and equipment grounding conductor and transition from type use to xhhw to enter a building.

I am not sure if by me splicing the conductor if I will be in violation of 250.120B.

Thanks

aksparky

Trying to be as clear as I can here, I want to run direct burial in a ditch then hit a junction box that has a conduit leaving going into a building this is where I will need to make the transition.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You can splice aluminum cable underground with the proper underground spice kits. You cannot splice or use bare aluminum conductors underground.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I have been reading 250.120(B) and I think this needs work. As I read this a termination could be looked at as a splice but I don't think that is the intent. If a termination is a splice then you could not splice aluminum underground or in a JB below 18" of grade. I am sure this is not what this article means.

We ran into this argument before as to whether a splice is a termination-- Well it does terminate one wire-- maybe there should be a definition of termination. What do you all think.

250.120(B) Aluminum and Copper-Clad Aluminum Conductors.
Equipment grounding conductors of bare or insulated aluminum or copper-clad aluminum shall be permitted. Bare conductors shall not come in direct contact with masonry or the earth or where subject to corrosive conditions. Aluminum
or copper-clad aluminum conductors shall not be terminated within 450 mm (18 in.) of the earth.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I have been reading 250.120(B) and I think this needs work. As I read this a termination could be looked at as a splice but I don't think that is the intent. If a termination is a splice then you could not splice aluminum underground or in a JB below 18" of grade. I am sure this is not what this article means.

We ran into this argument before as to whether a splice is a termination-- Well it does terminate one wire-- maybe there should be a definition of termination. What do you all think.

To me a splice is a continuation. A termination is an end.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
To me a splice is a continuation. A termination is an end.

I realize that we will have different feelings on this. I agree with you however, as I recall, not everyone here agrees. Hence my reason for a definition. I wish I could remember the other situation.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
After scanning thru the thousands of times termination is used in the code I can only say that a termination is the end point. So is a wire that is dead ended with a wire nut a termination. (maybe that was the argument).:)

dcl34769

The way I see it, if it is an enclosed j-box there is no problem because there is a box between earth and the conductors.
If this is a bottomless box then the earth "bottom" must be at least 18in away from the joint, and if you install a bottomless box right it would have gravel in the bottom anyway.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
The way I see it, if it is an enclosed j-box there is no problem because there is a box between earth and the conductors.
If this is a bottomless box then the earth "bottom" must be at least 18in away from the joint, and if you install a bottomless box right it would have gravel in the bottom anyway.

Using your logic the box would need to be 36+" wide.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
After scanning thru the thousands of times termination is used in the code I can only say that a termination is the end point. So is a wire that is dead ended with a wire nut a termination. (maybe that was the argument).:)
IMO, a wire-conductor termination is when a wire is connected to any conductor other than another wire. Connection of a wire to one or more other wires is a splice or tap.

IMO, a single wire end isolated with a wire nut is an unused conductor and for NEC purposes is not terminated.

I agree with the need for either refinement of the term's usage, or a definition. Another word that seems to be used a multitude of times is "connected" and its variations.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
While I agree there should be leniency for such a termination (or splice, tap) being protected against the effects of earth, there isn't any as presently worded.

As for the gravel you mentioned, I believe that would still be considered earth. Just because it came from somewhere else and has been screened and washed, does not change its constitution. ;)

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
IMO, a wire-conductor termination is when a wire is connected to any conductor other than another wire. Connection of a wire to one or more other wires is a splice or tap.

IMO, a single wire end isolated with a wire nut is an unused conductor and for NEC purposes is not terminated.

I agree with the need for either refinement of the term's usage, or a definition. Another word that seems to be used a multitude of times is "connected" and its variations.

So if it is not terminated or spliced it meets the exception in 300.14?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
So if it is not terminated or spliced it meets the exception in 300.14?

Now that is the article that created the stir I talked about earlier. Thanks. The consensus was that the exception had to do with a wire that passed thru a box.

Smart, I agree with your interpretation but as I said, and you said, it is not clear. A wire that ends- connected to nothing -- in a jb would have to be 18" above grade. I believe that is NOT the intent of this section.

I believe this section is talking about termination to a piece of equipment or perhaps a ground bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.