Thread: Fire Alarm Conduit on Separate Rack

Hybrid View

Fire Alarm Conduit on Separate Rack

Hello all,

I'm creating shop drawings for a NYC MTA transit job and by contract I'm installing empty conduit for power and communications. My foreman is telling me that after the attacks on 9/11 by code you are not allowed to run fire alarm conduit on the same strut as other communications devices such as PA, LAN, Access Control, etc.? He wants me to show it on its own separate J-hook away from the main comm rack. Can anyone verify this for me and direct me to where in the code it says this (NFPA 70, 72).

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by trinaldi88 View Post
    Hello all,

I'm creating shop drawings for a NYC MTA transit job and by contract I'm installing empty conduit for power and communications. My foreman is telling me that after the attacks on 9/11 by code you are not allowed to run fire alarm conduit on the same strut as other communications devices such as PA, LAN, Access Control, etc.? He wants me to show it on its own separate J-hook away from the main comm rack. Can anyone verify this for me and direct me to where in the code it says this (NFPA 70, 72).

Thanks in advance.
    Check with the city's building department. You won't find it in 70 or 72.

The NYC MTA related specs I've seen have that kind of stuff detailed to death. Look at the written spec book.
    Ron