Kitchen Island outlet location issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

Did I miss the lesson? I see nothing of value there.

Sorry you missed it , maybe you will have more luck with 210.50 (a) - Cord Pendants . A cord connector that is supplied by a permanently connected cord pendant shall be considered a receptacle outlet . Drop it 18" above the c top and have at it :grin::grin:

wrestless

If you want my opinion, and you may not, I think any outlets, below countertops, on islands or similar areas are a safety hazard.

I am definetely with you on this one if anyone wants it backed up, my nephew has scars all over the side of his face and shoulders. He was on a baby tricycle and seen the cord hanging over the island which was plugged into a fryer and decided to pull on it . End of story . I truely think we have plenty of outlets on the average kitchen countertops. How about installing the receptacle on the inside of cabinet behind the door this way most people would use the outlet while working in front of the doors ?

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I am definetely with you on this one if anyone wants it backed up, my nephew has scars all over the side of his face and shoulders. He was on a baby tricycle and seen the cord hanging over the island which was plugged into a fryer and decided to pull on it . End of story . I truely think we have plenty of outlets on the average kitchen countertops. How about installing the receptacle on the inside of cabinet behind the door this way most people would use the outlet while working in front of the doors ?

I am sorry to hear your nephew had to suffer that kind of pain, my brother got a gallon of hot coffee on him as a child, but that had nothing to do with the location of the receptacle and everything to do with poor adult supervision. Even if the receptacle is on top of the counter the cord can still overhang the edge and become a hazard.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The code is what it is and the question of the topic at hand was answered in the first few posts, we are now going into areas beyond the code, so with that said, I urge everyone to submit a proposal if they feel the need to.

Thread closed

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.