4 prong range to 3 prong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddy has an existing three prong receptacle for his oven and is getting a new one coming equipped with a 4 prong cord. The paperwork says you can power it with a 3 prong, but just wondering if you guys would do this and if so do you jump out the ground and neutral terminal in the stove?

jumper

My buddy has an existing three prong receptacle for his oven and is getting a new one coming equipped with a 4 prong cord. The paperwork says you can power it with a 3 prong, but just wondering if you guys would do this and if so do you jump out the ground and neutral terminal in the stove?
250.140 says this is okay.

The dryer will have a bond strap. Just make sure it is connected. If missing just add it. Range frame is connected to neutral/ground.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
What does the dryer have to do with the oven?:confused:

This.

Appliance. Utilization equipment, generally other than industrial, that is normally built in standardized sizes or types and is installed or connected as a unit to perform one or more functions such as clothes washing, air conditioning, food mixing, deep frying, and so forth.
:roll::grin:

Cavie

How DID my mother survive slaving over a 3 wire stove for 86 years??? New wirng yes 4/wire. Old wireing, 3/wire works just fine. If it easy and cheap to do 4/wire. If note, leave it alone.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Buy a 3 prong pigtail. Nothing to do but connect it.

What does the dryer have to do with the oven?:confused:

Dual purpose.

How DID my mother survive slaving over a 3 wire stove for 86 years??? New wirng yes 4/wire. Old wireing, 3/wire works just fine. If it easy and cheap to do 4/wire. If note, leave it alone.

If your Mom is 86 God love her. And hope you have her genes.

Cavie

So the range should come equipped with the strap bonded?

It's not a matter of should. They have been shipped that way since I was a rug rat. It is nothing new. What is new is the requirment that the circuit be 4/wire. The NEC has no control over the appliance manufatures. The majority of ranges and dryers sold by the big box stores are replacements to older houses. Therefore, you get the 3 wire cord with the jumper in place unless you ask for a 4 wire. It is a roll of the dice if the delivery guy knows how or when to remove the jumper. The delivery guys at the big box stores are not employees of the chain. They are simply a local subcontractor who hires whoever to deliver appliances. Some know what to do and some don't. It is what it is and it ain't gonna change.

Matthew_B

Correct. I'll bet you a PENNY that it comes from the big box store with a 4-prong with the bond NOT removed.

I bought my dryer from Home Depot with the 4-prong on it and the bond was there....

I bought a house in built in 2001 with the range already there. Ditto on the range.

I seem to see a pattern.

pfalcon

We buy a lot of replacement appliances (landlord). At the store we have to tell them whether we need the three or four prong pigtail. Neither typically comes with the appliance, though some stores throw one in "for free". The appliance always has the bonding strap in place for a three wire connection.

If you let them install then the guy typically cuts the bonding strap out for four wire (if he remembers to disable it that is). Poor practice for rental property where you might need to move that appliance to an older rental unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.