Hot Tub Bonding - 680

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjem2364

I have an inspector that is citing Article 680.42 as requiring a ground grid to be installed around a pre-packaged hot tub, outdoors on a fiberglass pad. She insists that this section indicates the installation needs to meet the requirements of a pool because 680.42 references Parts 1 and Part 2 of 680.

This particular installation is also directly on ledge, making it almost impossible to install this grid. The inspector it telling me I need to pour a concrete pad to encase the electrode.

Any thoughts?

raider1

Staff member
The inspector is correct in the fact that a hot tub installed outdoors in accordance with 680.42 is required to have an equipotential bonding grid installed in accordance with 680.26 which is in Part II of Article 680.

If you are under the 2008 NEC then both paved and un-paved surfaces are required to have a bonding grid.

Chris

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
The inspector is correct in the fact that a hot tub installed outdoors in accordance with 680.42 is required to have an equipotential bonding grid installed in accordance with 680.26 which is in Part II of Article 680.

If you are under the 2008 NEC then both paved and un-paved surfaces are required to have a bonding grid.

Chris

How does one deal with non conductive surfaces? like decks, do you put the grid under the decking ? My opinion is the section needs to be expanded to clarify this type of situation.

raider1

Staff member
How does one deal with non conductive surfaces? like decks, do you put the grid under the decking ? My opinion is the section needs to be expanded to clarify this type of situation.

I don't disagree that this section is in dire need of revising.

As written a deck would require an equipotential bonding grid if a hot tub is to be installed on it.

Chris

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I don't disagree that this section is in dire need of revising.

As written a deck would require an equipotential bonding grid if a hot tub is to be installed on it.

Chris

put a big sheet metal pan around the tub and bond it. Or router a #8 solid into the boards? :grin:

jetlag

I have an inspector that is citing Article 680.42 as requiring a ground grid to be installed around a pre-packaged hot tub, outdoors on a fiberglass pad. She insists that this section indicates the installation needs to meet the requirements of a pool because 680.42 references Parts 1 and Part 2 of 680.

This particular installation is also directly on ledge, making it almost impossible to install this grid. The inspector it telling me I need to pour a concrete pad to encase the electrode.

Any thoughts?

In a case like this if the house had a grid could you run a jumper from it , it seems it is already done if you bond to the panel . Around here were only have to drive a rod near the tub .

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
680.26(B)(2) at least gives you an exception from attaching to four corners on a non-conductive shell.

I guess there is an idea for a new product, a mat that could be laid around the tub and bonded to it.

electricmanscott

In a case like this if the house had a grid could you run a jumper from it , it seems it is already done if you bond to the panel . Around here were only have to drive a rod near the tub .

I think you are very confused.

This is for equipotential bonding. Why would a house already have a equipotential bonding grid setup? And what are the chances it just happens to be where you are going to set a hot tub?

As for the rod near the tub, I don't even know what to say about other than huh??? :confused:

I'd say a viewing of article 680 is very much in order.

jetlag

I think you are very confused.

This is for equipotential bonding. Why would a house already have a equipotential bonding grid setup? And what are the chances it just happens to be where you are going to set a hot tub?

As for the rod near the tub, I don't even know what to say about other than huh??? :confused:

I'd say a viewing of article 680 is very much in order.

Thats true I was thinking ground not bond.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector

WTF is that supposed to do ? Your inspector is not an electrician is he ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would like to ask how large the fiberglass pad is for the tub? If the tub pad extended to 3' past the edge of the tub all the way round it then I would have to wonder what good would the EPB grid do. However, If the pad is just under the tub then that will not matter as no EPB grid is needed under the tub and you still need it out to 3' from the tub

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I would like to ask how large the fiberglass pad is for the tub? If the tub pad extended to 3' past the edge of the tub all the way round it then I would have to wonder what good would the EPB grid do. However, If the pad is just under the tub then that will not matter as no EPB grid is needed under the tub and you still need it out to 3' from the tub

water on the pad could still conduct, if wet enough it could saturate the area around it.

electricmanscott

My thoughts as well, that's why I Asked what he meant by that. I think it's pretty important info.

Status
Not open for further replies.