Bolts for oil-filled transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonshineJ

The oil-filled transformer has an upper section, which is bolted to a gasketed flange of the oil tank. Transformer has about 2-3 psi of nitrogen, which "helps" in some oil buildup around bolts/ nylon nuts. I realize that nothing is perfect in this world, but is there some remedy for it, like special bolts/nuts, etc?

Ingenieur

is it over filled?
over heating?

try evenly tightening the bolts a few lb-ft
or a new gasket

without a pic or oil loss qty hard to gauge if it is a problem

Tony S

The company I worked for before I retired made nylon coated nuts, bolts and washers for caustic environments.

But as far as I can see there is no reason for the conservator to be insulated from the main tank so I’m confused as to what you’re trying to achieve.

moonshineJ

is it over filled?
over heating?

try evenly tightening the bolts a few lb-ft
or a new gasket

without a pic or oil loss qty hard to gauge if it is a problem

Oil loss isn't a factor, rather a nuisance, like those droplets hanging on some bolts. Obviously the gasket is not as perfect as it suppose to be, and replacing it would come at price, and it's not guaranteed this would fix a problem.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1

moonshineJ

You need to learn how to explain things.

That's not a leak; it's a calibrated expansion relief fitting.

lol "calibrated"? "relief fitting?" people maintaining these xformers never heard of those. Elaborate on those a bit more. There is a nitrogen relief valve on transformer, but the original question was about oil leaks.

MAC702

lol "calibrated"? "relief fitting?" people maintaining these xformers never heard of those. Elaborate on those a bit more. There is a nitrogen relief valve on transformer, but the original question was about oil leaks.

I guess I needed a smilie with that? Did you pass on that answer? :D

MAC702

lighten-up-francis-22862786.png

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
it could just be improper torq on those bolts. apply proper torq spec and see if it tightens any. if not then it would suggest the seal has an issue in some way and oil is making its way to the threading and oozing to the outside.

moonshineJ

it could just be improper torq on those bolts. apply proper torq spec and see if it tightens any. if not then it would suggest the seal has an issue in some way and oil is making its way to the threading and oozing to the outside.

It's a shipboard HV xformer, so when ship rolls, oil reaches the gasket level. Then nitrogen pressure comes into effect. Nitrogen eventually finds way out and drives some oil along the way thru any imperfections in gasket. The original design didn't include pressurization with inert gas, by the way. All torques were tried before. We have a company, they claim their sealant will stop such oil buildup. We'll see.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
It's a shipboard HV xformer, so when ship rolls, oil reaches the gasket level. Then nitrogen pressure comes into effect. Nitrogen eventually finds way out and drives some oil along the way thru any imperfections in gasket. The original design didn't include pressurization with inert gas, by the way. All torques were tried before. We have a company, they claim their sealant will stop such oil buildup. We'll see.

well, given the application, have at it, no more leaks ;)

millermatic-350p.jpg

Tony S

So you’ve altered the original design by introducing pressurised nitrogen blanketing and you’re now wondering why the top gasket leaks?

I would suggest a new cork top gasket coated with Blue Hylomar Gasket Compound before you set sail again.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
So you’ve altered the original design by introducing pressurised nitrogen blanketing and you’re now wondering why the top gasket leaks?

I would suggest a new cork top gasket coated with Blue Hylomar Gasket Compound before you set sail again.

Torquing the bolts in the proper sequence is crucial when sealing leaks is required. On a cover like that, the sequence will be a bit complicated. Probably a strange pattern jumping all over the place done in several steps. If such a sequence isn't followed, the gasket can bunch up between some bolts and stretch out between others.

The problem is that the manufacturer is the one that designs the patterns and sequences. If this was not meant to be pressurized, they probably won't have the info you need.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
or, just stock up before sailing, make it a daily or weekly task

0007331026301_A

Bugman1400

I'm not sure there is anything you can do. You can try a neoprene gasket and sealer. You could also try painting between the nut, bolt, and flange but, I think the increased hydrostatic pressure from the ship roll is gonna force it to leak. The only sure way to solve the problem is to switch the xfmr to a dry cast. I guarantee it won't leak if you do that!

Status
Not open for further replies.