GEC and 310.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Dennis has brought up an interesting (to me) topic in another thread.
310.3 states:
310.3 Stranded Conductors.
Where installed in raceways, conductors of size 8 AWG and larger shall be stranded.
Exception: As permitted or required elsewhere in this Code.

Art 250 discusses bonding when GEC are installed in a metallic raceway and accepts solid or stranded GEC conductors.
If does not specificaly address any limitaions to solid but on the other hand it does exempt them from 310.3
Is it a violation to install a solid #6 GEC (or larger) thru nipples with other conductors ?
Is it a violation to sleeve a #6 (or larger) GEC SOLID in a raceway ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't believe a sleeve is an issue but I am reasonably certain that a complete raceway is a NO-NO unless you can provide an article that explicitly allows it.
What article in 250 are you referencing Gus?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I don't believe a sleeve is an issue but I am reasonably certain that a complete raceway is a NO-NO unless you can provide an article that explicitly allows it.
What article in 250 are you referencing Gus?

250.64 gives info on sizing the GEC and how to treat a GEC installed in a metal raceway (it does not seem to differentiate between system and sleeving).
As you say, it does not specifically allow any size SOLID GEC to be installed in a raceway, but since 8 is the minimum, it seems to allow it.

jumper

Dennis has brought up an interesting (to me) topic in another thread.
310.3 states:
310.3 Stranded Conductors.
Where installed in raceways, conductors of size 8 AWG and larger shall be stranded.
Exception: As permitted or required elsewhere in this Code.

Art 250 discusses bonding when GEC are installed in a metallic raceway and accepts solid or stranded GEC conductors.
If does not specificaly address any limitaions to solid but on the other hand it does exempt them from 310.3
Is it a violation to install a solid #6 GEC (or larger) thru nipples with other conductors ?
Is it a violation to sleeve a #6 (or larger) GEC SOLID in a raceway ?

Beats me, but I am willing to agree that Dennis is a troublemaker.:grin::grin::grin:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
250.64 gives info on sizing the GEC and how to treat a GEC installed in a metal raceway (it does not seem to differentiate between system and sleeving).
As you say, it does not specifically allow any size SOLID GEC to be installed in a raceway, but since 8 is the minimum, it seems to allow it.

Yeah, I don't see where it specifically allows solid wire. I still say no....:)

Derek- why do I love you-- I don't know.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.