Buck/boost transformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eetwo

Am I correct in thinking that I can use a buck boosting transformer to over come voltage drop? I have a 1 hp 240 volt pump motor 2000 feet from the service location, and only have 1 1/2" pipe in the ground, so that limits my wire size. The motor will not be in continuous use, and will probably cycle 10 times per hour.

kwired

Electron manager
You would be better off stepping up voltage to 480 or 600 at the source and then stepping it back down at the load end.

This will allow for smaller conductors and will cost less than the larger conductors would anyway, even with the transformers.

Buck / boost will not work for a fix to voltage drop, in a way you are trying to use what is not there and will have even more voltage drop.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Little bit more:

When the load lessens, the compensated-for drop lessens, and the voltage rises. For a single, specific-current load, that may not matter.

It's better to boost the voltage at the source end, so the long run has less current. A B/B at the load end causes more current and drop.

I concur with a real transformer at the source, the highest practical voltage for the run, and another one for the load (unless it matches.)

mull982

It's better to boost the voltage at the source end, so the long run has less current. A B/B at the load end causes more current and drop.

I dont know if I follow this one. I'm assuming your saying that there will be more current in the circuit becasue the input to the B/B will be at a lower voltage than the ouput load. However without the B/B the the fact that the voltage at the load is reduced it will cause current to increase and therefore the VD so I suspect that the increased current would be of the same magnitude with our without the B/B transformer.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I dont know if I follow this one.
I'm saying that the electricity that provides the voltage boost isn't free. It comes from additional "input" (line) current.

A BB in boost mode places the boosting winding in series with the line. The primary of that winding is an additional line-side load.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
You would be better off stepping up voltage to 480 or 600 at the source and then stepping it back down at the load end.

This will allow for smaller conductors and will cost less than the larger conductors would anyway, even with the transformers.

Buck / boost will not work for a fix to voltage drop, in a way you are trying to use what is not there and will have even more voltage drop.

I agree, this would be the best solution for this length of wire run and load.

Status
Not open for further replies.