A/C receptacle location guidance needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Does the receptacle that's required to be within 25 ft of an outside A/C compressor have to be outside also? There is a receptacle about 15 ft away just inside the garage side door.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Agree to no. That's why a new exterior receptacle is supposed to be installed when an existing one is enclosed by, say, a screening-in of a porch or deck.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I like using A/C disconnects that have a GFCI receptacle incorporated in them esp. where there is no receptacle within 25’.
Just run a seperate branch circuit to feed the gfi.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Can the receptacle be outside but on the other side of a fence? You can throw an extension cord over the fence and walk around to plug it in. If yes, how do you measure the 25 ft? Horizontally or 25 ft cord length?

If no, what if there was a gate right there? Could I just leave the gate open to use the receptacle?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
No good. Cords run through doors, windows, and such are subject to damage. 400.8(3)

So you can't plug in a trouble light in your garage and use it to work on your car just outside the garage door at night?

Come on now.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
What is the receptacle for?

To service the unit.

I would think it would be more of an accessibility issues to the receptacle if no one was home rather than a cord run through a doorway temporarily.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
You can, but a contractor can't.

He can if I'm home and can open the door, but, that's not usually the case, so that would be the reason the receptacle would have to be outside.

Not because of damage done to an extension cord run through a doorway that is only in use when the contractor is on site the short time it would take to service the unit.

JAP>

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I installed two outside GFCI receptacles today next to the new mini-splits being installed. One on each side of the house. I installed the power for the mini-splits yesterday. I had this conversation with the home owner:

Home owner: "What are those for?"
Me: "They are required by the code in case the units have to be serviced."
Home owner: "How often do you think they will be used?"
Me: "Practically never. But you can use them to plug your Christmas lights in."

jumper

I installed two outside GFCI receptacles today next to the new mini-splits being installed. One on each side of the house. I installed the power for the mini-splits yesterday. I had this conversation with the home owner:

Home owner: "What are those for?"
Me: "They are required by the code in case the units have to be serviced."
Home owner: "How often do you think they will be used?"
Me: "Practically never. But you can use them to plug your Christmas lights in."

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.