Is it required

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmons101

My question is if there is a 4 square box with 1/2" EMT going in and coming out with 3 #12 THHN passing through not spliced and the voltage is 120 volt is it required to use a bond jumper for the ground at that 4 square.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Why would it matter if there were splices in the box????

It shouldn't with emt but it is code.

250.148 Continuity and Attachment of Equipment Grounding Conductors to Boxes.
Where circuit conductors are spliced within a box, or terminated on equipment within or supported by a box, any equipment grounding conductor(s) associated with those circuit conductors shall be connected within the box or to the box with devices suitable for the use in accordance with 250.148(A) through (E).
Exception: The equipment grounding conductor permitted in 250.146(D) shall not be required to be connected to the other equipment grounding conductors or to the box.

TNGuy81

Dennis, that code reads to me that IF its got splices, which it doesnt. I looked at that also in the NEC. Its not terminated in that jbox or supported there either, so I dont see how that applies. Its simply just passing through. Done it a million times with no prob cuz i exceeded 360degrees in the emt.

It would matter with EMT if it had splices because its a metal 4sqr box which must be bonded as any metal box. Though because there is no joints, there is nothing to bond.

Last edited:

ceb58

Why would it matter if there were splices in the box????

It shouldn't with emt but it is code.

Dennis, that code reads to me that IF its got splices, which it doesnt. I looked at that also in the NEC. Its not terminated in that jbox or supported there either, so I dont see how that applies. Its simply just passing through. Done it a million times with no prob cuz i exceeded 360degrees in the emt.

It would matter with EMT if it had splices because its a metal 4sqr box which must be bonded as any metal box. Though because there is no joints, there is nothing to bond.

Dennis is answering the question of splicing. He is not saying it must be done if it passes through. Your interpretation is correct

Status
Not open for further replies.