SKM Neher-McGrath software indicating 90C insulation required for 3,000A service

Status
Not open for further replies.
My company purchased the SKM Neher-McGrath software module and I suspect the results are overly cautious. It indicates 90 degree C insulation required for 4,000A feeder in a concrete duct bank ~100' long. Does this sound reasonable?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
My company purchased the SKM Neher-McGrath software module and I suspect the results are overly cautious. It indicates 90 degree C insulation required for 4,000A feeder in a concrete duct bank ~100' long. Does this sound reasonable?

You paid big money for this software and now you don't like what it told you so you want anonymous people on the Internet to tell you it came up with the wrong answer?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I know nothing about this software but since it's a duct bank would it require the 90° C conductors to account for some type of ampacity adjustments?

You paid big money for this software and now you don't like what it told you so you want anonymous people on the Internet to tell you it came up with the wrong answer?

We did indeed pay big money for the program, but having owned it for less than a week and it being new to module for SKM as well, I am looking for a reality check from some of the experienced professionals that read this board. I won't characterize us as "anonymous people on the Internet," although I appreciate evaluating any advise I get is my responsibility.

The program attempts to calculate the heat gain of a duct bank based on the the size of the conductors, the duct bank spacing, the type of insulation, the thermal resistivity of the duct bank and conductor insulation and the amount of current following through the conductors. It is an iterative program with an out put of the maximum end temperature in each of the ducts. This temperature then dictates the insulation rating required. The program output shows temperature ranging from 70 to 85 degrees C depending on the position of the duct in the bank.

smoothops10

Occupation
EE
I saw they added this in version 8. Have not tried it yet.

How do the results compare to Annex B Table B.310.15(B)(2)(7)?

Annex does not have a 9 duct, figure 4 column but if you model the 6 duct in skm and get similar values to the table, atleast you can have some confidence in the software.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
We did indeed pay big money for the program, but having owned it for less than a week and it being new to module for SKM as well, I am looking for a reality check from some of the experienced professionals that read this board. I won't characterize us as "anonymous people on the Internet," although I appreciate evaluating any advise I get is my responsibility.

I didn't mean to pick on you. Well, maybe just a little bit. :)

Why don't you just do the calculations by hand and see what you come up with.

I saw they added this in version 8. Have not tried it yet.

How do the results compare to Annex B Table B.310.15(B)(2)(7)?

Annex does not have a 9 duct, figure 4 column but if you model the 6 duct in skm and get similar values to the table, at least you can have some confidence in the software.

That is a really good idea. Thanks, I'll post what we come up with.

ron

Since the equipment terminations are only tested at 75deg (the terminations may be listed at 90), you need to increase conductor size or # of sets until you get it down to 75 deg temp for worst case temp calc at the ampacity you ant.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

Thats a pretty big insult to the guys here :D I would trust PhDs, prodigies, and 40+ years of experience over any obscure program which may not be factoring all the parameters.

Anyway, most wire to my knowledge is already rated 90*C, so that in itself is a none issue. What might set you back however are the terminals at the breaker which are usually rated 75*C. I would focus on that and not the 90*C requirement.

smoothops10

Occupation
EE
OP may not be coming back but I agree it is not a big deal to spec THWN-2, XHHW-2, RHW-2 cost wise vs THWN, XHHW, RHW etc. You'll probably get the x-2 90C rated whether spec'd or not. The terminations however is something not feasibly met. What is the opinion, 110.14c would apply to the terminations here? I think the fact that this is LV and neher only comes form the annex it is conservative and above code to begin with. I have seen this in several facility standard specs of big companies lately though.

Status
Not open for further replies.