I happened to see this today and thought of this thread

7231167f.jpg

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I happened to see this today and thought of this thread

7231167f.jpg

That's going to be a real mess when all that threaded rod gives out and everything drops to the floor.

At least the MC will be safe. :grin:

Roger

peter d

As my father used to say," A thing of beauty, is a joy forever." :grin:

That's pretty typical of commercial work around here. I have no problem with it. It's meant to be functional, not beautiful. Nobody cares what electrical stuff looks like other than picky electricians on forums. ;)

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
That's pretty typical of commercial work around here. I have no problem with it. It's meant to be functional, not beautiful. Nobody cares what electrical stuff looks like other than picky electricians on forums. ;)

I'm all for functional, but I can still get a laugh at it. :grin:

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I can assure you a job like that is all about cost and not beauty. ;)

Typical retail commercial work is not good for the electrician who likes to make art work out of everything.

I keep plenty of tie wraps on the van too, they are a multi use part. I even use them to lock down the recessed lights on their brackets, works great.

iwire

Staff member
The bundled & melting MC cable would be the cause of everything falling in the first place.

Knowing what I do about the design of building the picture was in I would be surprised if any of those cables have more than 10 amps of load and many will be in the 1 to 4 amp area.

mivey

Knowing what I do about the design of building the picture was in I would be surprised if any of those cables have more than 10 amps of load and many will be in the 1 to 4 amp area.
Sounds like a job for a 20-amper. :grin:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I missed that exception to derating in the NEC. ;)

They are not the best choice and after many years in a hot wearhouse you might have problems when they get brittle.

I've found the black UV-stabilized ones are fine, it's the cheap white ones that give way. And using a big enough one, of course. If you're really worried about it, get the stainless steel cable ties.

Now if I could only get people to trim them flush. Can't count the number of little scars from badly-cut tywrap tails. (Once caught someone "trimming" by cutting the tails down to an inch or so. Asked them "What's the point?" Didn't know. They received a bit of "supplemental training".)

Jim W in Tampa

I've found the black UV-stabilized ones are fine, it's the cheap white ones that give way. And using a big enough one, of course. If you're really worried about it, get the stainless steel cable ties.

Now if I could only get people to trim them flush. Can't count the number of little scars from badly-cut tywrap tails. (Once caught someone "trimming" by cutting the tails down to an inch or so. Asked them "What's the point?" Didn't know. They received a bit of "supplemental training".)

Your doing good if you can get some to trim them at all. Many don't care what the job looks like. But then if your after looks you would not be running MC

Status
Not open for further replies.