J R Garage door opener sharing otherloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

J R

Garage door opener on with other loads.
I have worked as an electrician in Broward County Florida for 30 plus years and recently purchased a new home in central Florida. The home was built in 2017 under the 2011 N.E.C Code.
When I was installing a timer for my garage coach lights I realized when I turned off the 15 amp General lighting breaker I not only lost power to my lighting circuit but also my Garage door opener, G.F.I's in garage and all exterior W. P. exterior outlets. When I would wire a home I would always put the GDO on separate circuit and G. F.I's as well. Can someone reference a code article that that backs up my any of my issues.

J R

Garage door sharing other loads

Garage door sharing other loads

Sorry about some of the wording in post my wife came in the room with her own problem's and I lost my concentration.

kwired

Electron manager
Not at big of a problem as some want it to be.

A typical GDO at a dwelling runs for what, 10-20 seconds and then sits idle for hours or even days.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Nothing in the Code requires that the GDO be on a dedicated or 20A circuit, only that it be GFI protected. I'm with you though and usually provide separate circuits for the lighting and receptacles, putting the GDO on the 20A receptacle circuit.

I agree with kwired in that it's no big deal if it's on with the 15A lighting.

-Hal

MattS87

The house I just bought was built in '92 but did something similar. Living, kitchen, basement and garage lights, Pus GDO and Microwave all on same circuit. Needless to say plenty of new wiring and a lot of inspecting to see what other odd stuff they did

Status
Not open for further replies.