Minimum height outdoor disc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not in the code, how low can you go?

Against my better judgement, I had to mount a disconnect under a 100A meter pan on a multi-fam in the Northeast (think snow) about 20" above grade.

This was not in a driveway, just in a back yard, so no snow shoveling/plowing around. Threaded hub on top, and sealed rear exit on very bottom at back. Punched the drip hole as well.

Inspectors: Would you fail?

Last edited:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Against my better judgement, I had to mount a disconnect under a 100A meter pan on a multi-fam in the Northeast (think snow) about 20" above grade.

This was not in a driveway, just in a back yard, so no snow shoveling/plowing around. Threaded hub on top, and sealed rear exit on very bottom at back. Punched the drip hole as well.

Does 550 apply in your application?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
You might get away with it if it's for an HVAC unit, etc. If it's for a service - what are the utility guidelines?

After the load side of the meter the utility is out to lunch, this is the NEC forum. ;)

Roger

After the load side of the meter the utility is out to lunch, this is the NEC forum. ;)

Roger

I understand, but I also understand he asked if whether inspectors might fail the install? Here they can use other standards to fail an electrical inspection.

In Mass some inspectors (as in my town) inspect according to the MEC AND to the utilty's (a municipal one in my town) standard. What if it's a cold sequence metering situation?

The very first service upgrade I did was on my own home, the original meter was installed 30" to the bottom of the enclosure and I installed the new one there because I didn't want to hunt down a funky shade of lime green vynal siding to cover the holes. I flunked the inspection because of the "utility's" guidelines not the MEC- there's no minimum height spelled out directly for meter installations in the MEC.

I did manage to talk the utility to accept it because it had been at that height for 75 years prior, the inspector still refused to sign the card though.

480sparky

I was rather bent out of shape when I found out I had to install this, but it still passed.

oops04.jpg

iwire

Staff member
As far as MA goes ...

I would say that if the utility requires a meter disconnect and if the utility has a written rule requiring the meter disconnect to be a certain height then the utility would not have to power up the service if the meter disconnect is too low even if the towns inspector of wires passed the job.

But, I also do not believe that any MA law actually allows the "inspector of wires" (the MA term for inspector) to fail a job based power company rules.

Do some MA inspectors of wires step beyond their legal authority? Yeah, without a doubt.

Jim W in Tampa

If snow is in front of it there is a violation of 110.26 but easily fixed in less than a minute.
Why could you not used LB's or whatever to move the disco up and to one side ? It should pass but only for the lack of a code violation.

Do some MA inspectors of wires step beyond their legal authority? Yeah, without a doubt.

In many communities they act as both the wiring inspector and middle man to municipal electric companies (Braintree, Norwood, Mansfield, Hull, Hingham are just a few), so they are looking at both standards. In the case of cold sequence services disconnects are ahead of the meter (therefore following under the utility specs) and as you say you might not get connected by the utility even if you pass inspection.

iwire

Staff member
In many communities they act as both the wiring inspector and middle man to municipal electric companies (Braintree, Norwood, Mansfield, Hull, Hingham are just a few), so they are looking at both standards.

And again, I know what they do. But I bet legally they are outside their authority to fail anyone for power company rules, municipal or not.

The town I live also has a municipal electric dept and I work out of Norwood, my office can't be too far from you.

Jim W in Tampa

And again, I know what they do. But I bet legally they are outside their authority to fail anyone for power company rules, municipal or not.

The town I live also has a municipal electric dept and I work out of Norwood, my office can't be too far from you.

They are crossing the line but if they don't tag you and then you make changes for poco you might create an NEC violation.

I have had jobs pass the electrical inspector and had to change for the POCO

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I said that there is no violation to this when it was asked before and was taken to task as to the fact that I never had to work on one with two feet of snow on the ground. My rebuttal was, why would you have to work on the AC with two feet of snow on the ground?

No violation.

Jim W in Tampa

I said that there is no violation to this when it was asked before and was taken to task as to the fact that I never had to work on one with two feet of snow on the ground. My rebuttal was, why would you have to work on the AC with two feet of snow on the ground?

No violation.

I know you have heard of heat pumps

Would love to see 2 feet of snow , but only for a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.