Power to RV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNGuy81

I got a guy needing power from his home to his RV. The conversation was brief (im going to look at it in the morning) but he needs a 50a recp on the outside of his house for power to the RV. Question is can I just mount the receptacle without building a service and is there a watertight type of bell box for this application? I am pulling power obviously from the main but am not sure if it needs disconnect on outside. Thanks a million

480sparky

It's simply a 50a branch circuit. Go to an RV dealer, and they sell manufactured panels for just such uses..... in-use covers, breaker & receptacle all in one 3R box.

resize

Last edited:

TNGuy81

Thanks. I was looking at the same thing earlier but was unsure if I needed to buy this setup or if I could just run a circuit and mount the 50amp to the outside wall. If I do need this panel does it need a grounding rod also? Also the main panel is in a "bonus room" not the garage so I was thinking run it up into the attic and out the soffet and down.... I really dont want to drill through the side of the house. Thoughts??

480sparky

No ground rod needed.

How you get the circuit there is a design choice. The NEC will not tell you how to do it, only methods that are and aren't allowed. If the length of the run is excessive, you may want to bump the conductors up a size for voltage drop.

TNGuy81

awesome thanks. So for this panel is this the best bet here or is it code? I need to explain to the homeowner why he cant just simply have his 1 receptacle. I was gonna run 6awg

Last edited:

ceb58

I got a guy needing power from his home to his RV. The conversation was brief (im going to look at it in the morning) but he needs a 50a recp on the outside of his house for power to the RV. Question is can I just mount the receptacle without building a service and is there a watertight type of bell box for this application? I am pulling power obviously from the main but am not sure if it needs disconnect on outside. Thanks a million

awesome thanks. So for this panel is this the best bet here or is it code? I need to explain to the homeowner why he cant just simply have his 1 receptacle. I was gonna run 6awg

Why can he not have a single recptical? DG WP box with a DG bubble cover.

p.s. apparently its got to have a disconnect 551.77(b) so the panel seems to be the right choice. Thanks again

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...ccode=cii_9324560&locStoreNum=732&marketID=19

this should be fine?? It says 60amp but i think thats a typo if you read it its 50amp.

First. It is rated at 60 amps meaning the OCD cannot be over 60amp. So it is not a typo.
Second. You stated in your OP that this is being installed at someones house for their personal RV. 551.77 B or any thing else in 551 would not apply to this install unless he is running a RV park from his home in the back yard.
And lastly, and I ask this with no mallace, but are you quailified to do this install?

480sparky

OK, help me understand. 551.1 gives the scope. ......... related to elect. installations within a recreational vehicle park. The OP stated that it is to be installed at a residence.

Don't mind me.... I'm too busy sticking my screwdriver into an energized panel. :cool:

TNGuy81

well im not running a RV park and they sell these at Home Depot for a reason so im installing it and yes im qualified to do this job. How often do you run across this type of application?? This is my 1st... so yea i had some questions. 551.77 does not specify the location read (A) of that article. recreational vehicle site not RV park.

ART 551.77(B)
A disconnecting switch or circuit breaker shall be provided in the site supply equipment for disconnecting teh power supply to the RV

Last edited:

ceb58

well im not running a RV park and they sell these at Home Depot for a reason so im installing it and yes im qualified to do this job. How often do you run across this type of application?? This is my 1st... so yea i had some questions. 551.77 does not specify the location read (A) of that article. recreational vehicle site not RV park.

ART 551.77(B)
A disconnecting switch or circuit breaker shall be provided in the site supply equipment for disconnecting teh power supply to the RV

I got a guy needing power from his home to his RV.

You are correct 551.77 B dose not specify the location. But 551.1 dose. As I said if you are installing it at a residents for the HO to plug the RV into then 551 doesn't come into play.

I need to explain to the homeowner why he cant just simply have his 1 receptacle

So how are you going to explain it?

TNGuy81

im going to have to consult my mentor on this hes a master electrician. It dosnt make sense to me why someone with a RV can not have this installed at their residence. Whats the big deal about it? Is there any "legal" way to do this and what do you suggest?

Last edited:

TNGuy81

You are correct 551.77 B dose not specify the location. But 551.1 dose. As I said if you are installing it at a residents for the HO to plug the RV into then 551 doesn't come into play.

So now im totally confused.. Are you saying this is ok here or what? I do see/read what you are saying in 551 Scope which is referring to a RV park.. Also the NEC defines RV Site "A plot of ground within a RV park set aside for the accommodation of a RV on a temporary basis. It can be used as either a recreational vehicle site or as a camping unit site."

ceb58

im going to have to consult my mentor on this hes a master electrician. It dosnt make sense to me why someone with a RV can not have this installed at their residence. Whats the big deal about it? Is there any "legal" way to do this and what do you suggest?

OK, first of all I am trying to help you understand where you are at. You saw an RV and got stuck on the fact that 551.77 B was what you were going to have to go by. If you read 551.1 then it tells you that it is for RV sites. Not for someone to plug there RV into at their home for the winter. That's the "fun" of the code you must first know what the install would fall under. This would simply fall under 225.
Now, there is no reason you cannot install the panel you are looking at, the same as there is no reason you cannot install a DG box with a recp. and bubble cover for this application. Both are legal. It comes down to what you are telling the customer.

I need to explain to the homeowner why he cant just simply have his 1 receptacle.

Lets play a scenario game: You quote the customer $500.00 for the install.

You tell the customer that panel MUST be installed and you install it. Then six months down the road the customer finds out it wasn't really necessary. Then he puts you on the list to tell every one he knows that you are a rip off because he now thinks you over charged him for something he didn't need.

Now, You install the box and recp. the customer wants. He is happy. He tells people yea, he did a good job for me. No one can say you sold him something he didn't need.

Your cost for both ways are going to be about the same except the difference in the panel verses a WP box, recp. and cover.
You have really put more money in your pocket by doing what is called for.
Now, if you present both ways to the customer. Say $500.00 for the WP box or $600.00 for the panel. Then the choice is his and he cannot accuse you of cheating him.

TNGuy81

ok i appreciate the info. So you are saying both ways would be correct in this application and it is simply choice of which to install correct? I would be cheaper to go with the bell box and receptacle option but the code did speak of needing a disconnect in the location of the RV. Therefore, I am still confused because what I was told by sparky holds true now, as does my initial plan of the bell box with the receptacle. Im my opinion the panel with the disconnect seems to be above and beyond and a safer method. Am i missing something here?

ceb58

ok i appreciate the info. So you are saying both ways would be correct in this application and it is simply choice of which to install correct? I would be cheaper to go with the bell box and receptacle option but the code did speak of needing a disconnect in the location of the RV. Therefore, I am still confused because what I was told by sparky holds true now, as does my initial plan of the bell box with the receptacle. Im my opinion the panel with the disconnect seems to be above and beyond and a safer method. Am i missing something here?

Yes, both ways would be code compliant. The choice should be left to the home owner. Price it both ways. The panel would look like a more professional install but as always the price will be the deciding factor.

the code did speak of needing a disconnect in the location of the RV.

:D FORGET THE DISCONNECT. FORGET WHAT SPARKY SAID. REREAD THE THREAD. SPARKY HAD TO BACK UP ON THE CODE WHEN I POINTED OUT IT WAS AT A RESIDENTS NOT A RV PARK.
This is what I have been trying to get you to see. You even posted the requirements. You are still stuck on 551. 551 doesn't have anything to do with this install.

"A plot of ground within a RV park set aside for the accommodation of a RV on a temporary basis.

The guys yard doesn't come close to the defined requirement of a RV PARK

Im my opinion the panel with the disconnect seems to be above and beyond and a safer method.

Yes, it would be above and beyond what is called for. Nothing wrong with that if the customer is willing to pay for it. As far as safer not really. In my opinion the cord would be the unsafest thing in the whole install, trip hazard, cutting the cord. But ether way, bell box or panel you will have the cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.