aluminum ladder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wire_nutz

This is the first employer I have worked while performing work as an electrician, wants me to work on an aluminum ladder.

Prior to this employer, all other employers provided wood or fiberglass ladders. Naturally, I do not feel comfortable working with an aluminum ladder being an electrician.

Is any safety information available, such as OSHA pertaining to the use of aluminum ladders?

Last edited:

WorkSafe

OSHA:

1910.26(c)(3)(viii)
See 1910.333(c) for work practices to be used when work is performed on or near electric circuits.

1910.333(c)(7)
"Portable ladders." Portable ladders shall have nonconductive siderails if they are used where the employee or the ladder could contact exposed energized parts.

I'm willing to bet also that the stickers on the ladder state not to use them while working on electrical.......Your employeer is wrong.

Too add:

From Werner Ladders website:

Use fiberglass ladders if there is
even a remote possibility of
working near electricity or
overhead power lines. Fiberglass
side rails are electrically
non-conductive.

http://www.wernerladder.com/catalog/files/rc310.pdf

Last edited:

TVH

Aluminum Ladders

Aluminum Ladders

Your employer also does not conduct risk assessements. Irrespective of rules and regulatons, risks in work activity need to be identified and implemented.

rt66electric

buy your own ladder

buy your own ladder

I have brought my personal ladder(s) tho the jobsite. I would not let anybody else use it. Your employer is a cheapskate, keep looking for another.

Status
Not open for further replies.