Power to RV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNGuy81

I couldn't get a hold of my mentor, but i spoke with another electrician who said it will come down to the inspector in the end. He really didn't know much about it either though... I get it now that 551 is all about a RV Park not a residence. Clear as a bell now. So with that said its simply just an outside 240v 50amp receptacle. Now that panel had a 240v 50amp recp in it but it was not GFCI protected, only the 120v recp had the GFCI. So would that require a GFCI breaker http://electrical.hardwarestore.com...ouble-pole-gfci-circuit-breaker-660904.aspx?? And if so thats really expensive. So im sure he will go with the bell box and the GFCI breaker option which would be a lot cheaper. Again I have never done one of these before so bare with me.

TNGuy81

P.S. Plus when I do something I do it right. I am not as NEC savvy as some of you but I am learning. I have a family to support and do the best I can. I want to master this trade and go back to school but things are tight right now. I can make anything (almost) work, but I want to make them work code compliant and understand what I am doing also. I dont want to just wire devices up but I want to know exactly why and how and safe as possible. Im only 4 years deep in this trade but I want to exceed it to the fullest. I just wish I had realized this earlier in my life rather than now. Though its said late is better than never.

Cavie

I couldn't get a hold of my mentor, but i spoke with another electrician who said it will come down to the inspector in the end. He really didn't know much about it either though... I get it now that 551 is all about a RV Park not a residence. Clear as a bell now. So with that said its simply just an outside 240v 50amp receptacle. Now that panel had a 240v 50amp recp in it but it was not GFCI protected, only the 120v recp had the GFCI. So would that require a GFCI breaker http://electrical.hardwarestore.com...ouble-pole-gfci-circuit-breaker-660904.aspx?? And if so thats really expensive. So im sure he will go with the bell box and the GFCI breaker option which would be a lot cheaper. Again I have never done one of these before so bare with me.

How 'bout you tell us why you think the 50 amp recp needs a GFCI breaker.

charlie k.

How is it not safe. If you want to put it on a gfci put it on one. You came here seeking advice. They told you a 50 amp weatherproof RV outlet. Lookup Midwest rv outlets, they have them in nema 3r enclosures. It is raining cats and dogs here or I would go outside and get you the numbers off of one of them mounted on my house. They are used all of the time and not on gfi's. And for the record no one has ever been shocked.

Charlie

TNGuy81

yea 240 volts outdoors is a great idea... Code or not thats stupid. Any outdoor receptacle is required GFI.. Find a article that proves me wrong.:cool: Those who cant teach... Only a hack would put that on an non- GFCI circuit.. Good luck with an inspector.

Last edited:

TNGuy81

210.8(A) is a reference to a dwelling unit.. Applies how?

210.8(B) is generally about boat hoist... Though (4) refers to outdoors..though public not private...

its 240 with a neutral. I dont care what the damn NEC says. Its 240/120. I dont trust it. I would want it on a GFCI breaker in my home..

Cavie

yea 240 volts outdoors is a great idea... Code or not thats stupid. Any outdoor receptacle is required GFI.. Find a article that proves me wrong.:cool: Those who cant teach... Only a hack would put that on an non- GFCI circuit.. Good luck with an inspector.

You need to settle down just a bit. If you look at my signature you will see I AM an inspector and also a licensed Contractor. I have over 40 years experiance. I'm by far not one of the smartest guys here but I get by and I do make wrong statements from time to time. We are just trying to get you to understand the code and how to read the requirements of the code and not make up your own. Read the code number I gave you. That tells you where to install GFI's per code. If you wish to go above code that is just fine. I applaude you for that.

ceb58

I couldn't get a hold of my mentor, but i spoke with another electrician who said it will come down to the inspector in the end.

That is a poor way for him to look at it and it is a bad habit for you to get into. If you are under the NEC without local amendments then the inspector must inspect to code. If he fails the install then he must give you a code reference to back himself up. No room for " I would like to see it this way, I would do it this way, or I just dont like it"

P.S. Plus when I do something I do it right. I am not as NEC savvy as some of you but I am learning. I have a family to support and do the best I can. I want to master this trade and go back to school but things are tight right now. I can make anything (almost) work, but I want to make them work code compliant and understand what I am doing also. I dont want to just wire devices up but I want to know exactly why and how and safe as possible. Im only 4 years deep in this trade but I want to exceed it to the fullest. I just wish I had realized this earlier in my life rather than now. Though its said late is better than never.

That is why you have been beat up on this thread. It's not that we dont love you, we want you to succeed:D
I get it now that 551 is all about a RV Park not a residence. Clear as a bell now

480sparky

210.8(A) is a reference to a dwelling unit.. Applies how?

Do you not install receptacles outside a dwelling? If so, where is the 240volt requirement you say exists?

210.8(B) is generally about boat hoist... Though (4) refers to outdoors..though public not private...

(B) is for Other Than Dwelling Units. (C) is for boat hoists.

its 240 with a neutral.

So? What does having a neutral have to do with GFCI requirements? A ground fault is a ground fault is a ground fault.

I dont care what the damn NEC says. Its 240/120. I dont trust it. I would want it on a GFCI breaker in my home..

Fine. When we're at your house, we'll play by your rules. But we're not at your house, are we?

TNGuy81

And the thunder rolls, and the lightning strikes. As a pack they pray, said the innocent, young boy setting in the woods that night... :-? i got beat up!! LMFAO!!!!

Last edited:

arits74

Occupation
working owner electrician
if this circuit is for an rv then it wont be 240 volt,it will be a 120 volt circuit with a four wire range receptacle,with the one hot tied to the 2 hot terminals on the receptacle and the ground and neutral in the coresponding terminals on the receptacle.

Cavie

FYI. There is no requirement for you to go to school to become a Master Electrician or an Electric Contractor. It helps but not required. I didn't go to any school. I got my jurneymans card in Florida just cause. It isn't required in most places. Only class I took was an exam prep course. You can learn with OJT. Listen and ask questions. You will learn. It takes time.

480sparky

if this circuit is for an rv then it wont be 240 volt,it will be a 120 volt circuit with a four wire range receptacle,with the one hot tied to the 2 hot terminals on the receptacle and the ground and neutral in the coresponding terminals on the receptacle.

No, it will be 120/240.

charlie k.

And the thunder rolls, and the lightning strikes. As a pack they pray, said the innocent, young boy setting in the woods that night... :-?

The whole point is you came here seeking advice. It was explained to you and you want to dispute it. May I ask why an apprentice electrician is making the decision on what to use?
Is this by chance a side job?

Charlie

Teaspoon

A 50 amp RV receptacle is not required by code to be gfci protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.