210.52(b)(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Can someone tell me where the wall behind a not fastened-in-place range (gas, electric or otherwise) is not to be considered as wall space, or something other than wall space, in the determination and application of 210.52(A)(2)...???

I was trying to keep that discussing here:
http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=132197

Does this help anyone?

Dennis is correct again.
Now note that it refers to Figure 210.52(C)(1).

I do not see a free standing stove there.

480sparky

Can someone tell me where the wall behind a not fastened-in-place range (gas, electric or otherwise) is not to be considered as wall space, or something other than wall space, in the determination and application of 210.52(A)(2)...???

That discussion is taking place here.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Does 210.52(B)(2) prohibit a 120V receptacle outlet behind a free standing range?

Ken, the problem is it's not just any old 120V circuit, it is a SABC circuit.

The title of this thread is 210.52(B)(2).

I think the original question should have mentioned SABCs in it - that was the point of the previous conversation.

Ken, I am saying that 210.52(B)(2) prohibits installing a SABC receptacle behind an electric range. Agree or disagree?
Disagree. It is still wall space as I see it, and I don't know of any specific prohibition other than if it is knowingly going to serve something other than a small appliance (and that's the reason for Exception No. 2... because the equipment mentioned therein are not small appliances) .

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Ken, I am saying that 210.52(B)(2) prohibits installing a SABC receptacle behind an electric range. Agree or disagree?
I disagree. I can put a receptacle behind a range, power it from a SABC circuit, and use it to serve the countertop. This would not violate the ?no other outlets? rule.

Regarding 480Sparky?s post # 32, I would not need to pull the stove out, in order to plug in my toaster. I can simply reach the toaster?s cord over one of the burners. OK. That is a really bad idea, and a really, Really, REALLY bad design. But it is not, Not, NOT explicitly forbidden by anything in 210.52.

Regarding Dennis?s post #39, the exception tells us that we are not required to put a receptacle there. It does not command us to avoid putting receptacles there.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
charlie b said:
Regarding Dennis?s post #39, the exception tells us that we are not required to put a receptacle there. It does not command us to avoid putting receptacles there.

I totally agree and that is why I posted it. It states it shall not be required... this is not a prohibition.

Status
Not open for further replies.