Securing NM wires entering service panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it always required to secure NM wire within 12” if entering a service panel?

Specifically, if the wires are coming through holes in joists directly above the panel where there’s 12” or less between the holes in the joists and the cable clamp entering the panel.

if it would be necessary to secure them, the only neat way I can see to do so would be to lower the entire panel, which would mean running new SE wire and would probably also require replacing some of the runs where the existing wire isn’t long enough to reach the lowered panel.

TIA

Jamesco

Occupation
Master Electrician

Specifically, if the wires are coming through holes in joists directly above the panel where there’s 12” or less between the holes in the joists and the cable clamp entering the panel.

if it would be necessary to secure them, the only neat way I can see to do so would be to lower the entire panel, which would mean running new SE wire and would probably also require replacing some of the runs where the existing wire isn’t long enough to reach the lowered panel.

TIA

The bored hole is considered a support.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The cable within the hole is considered supported and secured but it still is required to be secured within 12" of the panel.

334.30(A) Horizontal Runs Through Holes and Notches. In other than vertical runs, cables installed in accordance with 300.4 shall be considered to be supported and secured where such support does not exceed 1.4-m (41⁄2-ft) intervals and the nonmetallic-sheathed cable is securely fastened in place by an approved means within 300 mm (12 in.) of each box, cabinet, conduit body, or other nonmetallic sheathed cable termination.

Jamesco

Occupation
Master Electrician
The cable within the hole is considered supported and secured but it still is required to be secured within 12" of the panel.

>>>>

Dontknowjack said:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's only considered supported in the hole when it's secured within 12".

334.30(A) Horizontal Runs Through Holes and Notches. In other than vertical runs, cables installed in accordance with 300.4 shall be considered to be supported and secured where such support does not exceed 1.4-m (41⁄2-ft) intervals and the nonmetallic-sheathed cable is securely fastened in place by an approved means within 300 mm (12 in.) of each box, cabinet, conduit body, or other nonmetallic sheathed cable termination.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I think the OP is asking about vertical runs, not horizontal runs.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
. . . the only neat way I can see to do so would be to lower the entire panel, . . .

Neatness may go out the window. . .

What about a "stacker" or a "Colorado Jim"? Use enough of them to handle the amount of cables.

user 100

TIA

What you really mean is there is less than a foot between the top of the panel and where the NMS going to the panel come thru
the top plate ?

If that is the case, just cut a 2x4 (cross bar) to fit horizontally in the opening above the panel that is below the top plate and toe nail it. Then secure NMs to that w/staples--the cables are secured within 1ft and you can get on with your life.:)

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
What you really mean is there is less than a foot between the top of the panel and where the NMS going to the panel come thru
the top plate ?

If that is the case, just cut a 2x4 (cross bar) to fit horizontally in the opening above the panel that is below the top plate and toe nail it. Then secure NMs to that w/staples--the cables are secured within 1ft and you can get on with your life.:)

Agreed. I have seen it done that way many times. Even when the cables are coming from holes in actual joists above the panel.

the top plate ?

I thought about adding a 2x4 with pocket holes, it’s not ideal but If that’s what I have to do to get the work approved, I’m ok with it

user 100

I thought about adding a 2x4 with pocket holes, it’s not ideal but If that’s what I have to do to get the work approved, I’m ok with it

Whats not ideal about adding a piece of lumber and stapling cable to it?

Its NEC legal and quick--- takes a few minutes max.

We have to staple cable to lumber everywhere else in new houses, so why not?;)

And if you are stressed about any neatness factor, just do it neat and ultimately remember that whatever gets done there is gonna get zipped up and theres a chance nobody's gonna see it again in your lifetime.:D

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

What you really mean . . . the top plate ?

First of all, Dontknowjack, welcome to the Forum ! !

Next, there is some confusion over what you wrote in your opening post. You wrote JOIST, which is not wall studding, but, is rather the horizontal framing members in the ceiling above the panel location.

Did you mean JOIST ? (As opposed to STUD and top plate of the stud wall).

Whats not ideal about adding a piece of lumber and stapling cable to it?

Its NEC legal and quick--- takes a few minutes max.

We have to staple cable to lumber everywhere else in new houses, so why not?;)

And if you are stressed about any neatness factor, just do it neat and ultimately remember that whatever gets done there is gonna get zipped up and theres a chance nobody's gonna see it again in your lifetime.:D

True, it’s not that big of a deal, it’s just a tight space to work in and ideal would be not having to do it :)

First of all, Dontknowjack, welcome to the Forum ! !

Next, there is some confusion over what you wrote in your opening post. You wrote JOIST, which is not wall studding, but, is rather the horizontal framing members in the ceiling above the panel location.

Did you mean JOIST ? (As opposed to STUD and top plate of the stud wall).

Thanks! I do mean joists, the panel is in the basement and wires are coming through the joists horizontally and the transition where it goes from horizontal to the vertical drop to the panel is not spaced well (the top of the panel is maybe 4” below the bottom of the joists), so putting a 2x4 horizontally between the joists and stapling to that seems to be my only choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.