split buss panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Are split buss panels ok to use ( 100 amp 240 loads on top 60 ampin in midle for lighting load five movements turns all power off)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
408.36 basically prohibits most "split buss" panelboards. Ones in use would be grandfathered.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
split buss

split buss

The way i read article 230.70 it would seem to meet code requirement(split buss)?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I fail to see the significance of 230.70.
230.71 is the "6 disconnect rule" which would allow six breakers or other service disconnects. Only problem is 408.36 won't allow them in one panel.
I beleive its somewhat a mute point as they are no longer manufactured.

kwired

Electron manager
I fail to see the significance of 230.70.
230.71 is the "6 disconnect rule" which would allow six breakers or other service disconnects. Only problem is 408.36 won't allow them in one panel.
I beleive its somewhat a mute point as they are no longer manufactured.

Exception 1 to 408.36 allows the six disconnect rule of 230.71 to have the six disconnects in one panel. But it does say that if there are more than two mains they are not allowed to feed a second bus in the same panel.

hurk27

I wonder how this would apply to a load shedding transfer switch panel that Generac has? they have two busses, one for the main essential loads and one for the load shedding loads, although they are fed with a single main from the utility through two transfer switches so that might be the out?

kwired

Electron manager
I wonder how this would apply to a load shedding transfer switch panel that Generac has? they have two busses, one for the main essential loads and one for the load shedding loads, although they are fed with a single main from the utility through two transfer switches so that might be the out?

I think you answered your own question.

Status
Not open for further replies.