Sign Lighting with T12 HO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff80

What is the standard conversion in a sign from a T12 HO? Most of the time a T12 would be changed to a T8 but in a sign with a HO... The current sign has six F48 T12 CW HO with stationary HO lamp holders not "tombstone" style.

I would prefer not to use LED but what are my other opions? Are T12 HO lamps being phased out just like the standard bi pin T12 F32 lamps?

kyled86

The only HO flourescents I have dealt with other than the T12's are the new T5's. I beleive all T5's are HO. I am also pretty sure there is no T8 HO. You could look into retrofitting it with the new T5 set up. If the above statements are wrong i'm sure someone will correct me :D

Last edited:

kyled86

Oh also...I do not think the T12 HO's are being phased out as of yet. I could very well be wrong on that as well though.

Barndog

The only HO flourescents I have dealt with other than the T12's are the new T5's. I beleive all T5's are HO. I am also pretty sure there is no T8 HO. You could look into retrofitting it with the new T5 set up. If the above statements are wrong i'm sure someone will correct me :D

There are 8 foot T8 HO bulbs. we use them in our plant. But i think they use a differant socket then the T12's do.

Barndog

What is the standard conversion in a sign from a T12 HO? Most of the time a T12 would be changed to a T8 but in a sign with a HO... The current sign has six F48 T12 CW HO with stationary HO lamp holders not "tombstone" style.

I would prefer not to use LED but what are my other opions? Are T12 HO lamps being phased out just like the standard bi pin T12 F32 lamps?

It was my understanding that the T12 magnetic ballasts are being phased out.

hurk27

T 12 110 watt ballast and lamps are not being phased out because they are special purpose, and used in many signs and other applications that there is no easy replacement as of yet, T-5 54 watt lamps can be a replacement but sockets and ballast are different, and don't fully light up when its really cold, and the lamps are slightly longer then a 48" t-8 or t-12.

I can get all the special sign ballast I need, 2 lamp to 6 lamp, (which are rated in lengths of all lamps) lamps are also available, some special order, but common sizes are locally stocked such as 2', 4', 6', 8', 10', and even some 12'.

Weird sized have to be ordered like 7', 9'.

wallyworld

It was my understanding that the T12 magnetic ballasts are being phased out.

Advance makes Electronic ballasts for t12ho bulbs. One I've used is kind of a pain as the yellow wires out of the ballast have to go the plunger end of the fixture. Wouldn't you know that everyone I've changed has been the opposite so I've had to redo the fixtures

stevebea

T5 standard lamp comes 14,21,28,35 watt. T5HO comes in 24,39,54,80 watt.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
signs w/ T12HO lighting are still being produced today. I don't think they're leaving any time soon. Fullham makes a nice electronic T12 HO ballast; the 'sine horse'.

other options are LED, neon, and mercury vapor.

Is this a regular 8ft strip fixture in the sign? If so you can do a ballast cover retrofit kit using 4 4ft T8 lamps with a high ballast factor (1.18) 4-Lamp T8 ballast. It would save about 35% on energy and put out 15-20% more light.

Status
Not open for further replies.