EMT as grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy Current

Someone i work with said it was against today's code to use the emt as grounding. I was wondering isn't that what you're doing when you put a ground pigtail in?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
You and the person who told you that need to read 250.118.

Roger

RETRAINDAILY

It could be a local amendment.

Here in PHX. We have to use a conductor in EMT.

If you hook that "pigtail" to a Grounding conductor, you are grounding your box.

Jim W in Tampa

I am sorry you do not trust the quality of your own work. :grin:

The great thing is you are always free to add an EGC if you want.

Now can can you explain how it is the EGC splices never fail in a wood framed home?

Bob we have all seen jobs where emt has seperated. All the places I ever worked demanded a ground wire and it might be in job specs.
I trust my work but not others. If i did not tighten that screw then I have reason not to trust it.

I am not arguing that its not required.

iwire

Staff member
Bob we have all seen jobs where emt has seperated.

Yes, and we have all seen bad splices so I guess we should prohibit those as well.

All the places I ever worked demanded a ground wire

Sure they did. :D

I trust my work but not others. If i did not tighten that screw then I have reason not to trust it.

So you trust others to be able to make a good splice but not to turn a screw.

I am missing the logic.

220/221

I am missing the logic.

The logic is, the NEC is minimum. Installing a EGC in EMT is a great way to go above and beyond. Kind of like keeping service conductors enclosed in IMC. :cool:

iwire

Staff member
The logic is, the NEC is minimum. Installing a EGC in EMT is a great way to go above and beyond. Kind of like keeping service conductors enclosed in IMC. :cool:

Try and follow along. :grin:

In a wood framed house with NM all it would take is one bad splice to lose the grounding down stream.

Following your view I guess we should run two EGCs all over the house because the NEC only requires one, that is a the minimum and one might fail.

Do you run two wire EGCs in PVC in case one fails?

Me, .... I install EMT properly with plenty of supports so I do not expect it to fall apart. :cool:

220/221

Hey, that's the way I installed it too....in the dark ages :D

It's been required here for decades and personally, I don't think it's a bad idea. I'm just sayin.....I'd support a code change. ;)

Jim W in Tampa

Yes, and we have all seen bad splices so I guess we should prohibit those as well.

Sure they did. :D

So you trust others to be able to make a good splice but not to turn a screw.

I am missing the logic.

Bob, what is your problem? NEC is a min code. Some of us want a bit better quality.
You admit you seen them come apart. Your smart enough to know what can happen.
No we can't do much about poor connections on anything. This is about wanting the best we can. If your doing commercial work and adding a ground wire makes or breaks you then you bid it far too low.
Your more than welcome to do it your way and I will do it mine. Both of us will pass.
The OP asked a direct question and we gave him one. He should check local codes.

480sparky

Bob, what is your problem? NEC is a min code. Some of us want a bit better quality.
You admit you seen them come apart. Your smart enough to know what can happen.
No we can't do much about poor connections on anything. This is about wanting the best we can. If your doing commercial work and adding a ground wire makes or breaks you then you bid it far too low.
Your more than welcome to do it your way and I will do it mine. Both of us will pass.
The OP asked a direct question and we gave him one. He should check local codes.

I think the direction Bob is headed is: If we outlaw everything we do that has the possibility of being done incorrectly/unsafely, we'll regulate ourselves out of an industry. It won't be long until NFPA-70 is like OSHA 1926..... you won't be able to do anything because it's against the rules.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
many of us have our pet peeves.

I usually run a green in EMT.

I am opposed to a code change requiring me to.

I would say that EMT probably is more likely to be physically abused after installed than a spliced ground in a box in a wood framed structure wired with romex.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The logic is, the NEC is minimum. Installing a EGC in EMT is a great way to go above and beyond.

So what does minimum mean here? Do you think the NEC being the minimum is borderline dangerous? It is in fact well above what would realistically be a safe minimum

But you are right that installing a measly wire EGC in an EMT raceway is over and above what is the better EGC (the EMT) is on it's own. Even the NFPA acknowledges that EMT is better and would be the primary EGC verses the wire conductor which is a secondary EGC in article 517 applications.

Roger

StephenSDH

Some us simply do not trust EMT after 10 couplings

Think about all the 1-hole straps, minnies, and strut straps grounding the conduit to building steel along the whole run. (Assuming it is run on steel) If the pipe did seperate it is likely to still be grounded through building steel.

With that said I generally still run a ground. Customers expect it, and we are in the business of making a living off labor and material.

Status
Not open for further replies.