Is it against code to not use the red eye bushings that come with mc cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy Current

The place i work doesn't even use them and they call mc cable bx. What does bx stand for and why are they calling it that?

iwire

Staff member
The place i work doesn't even use them and they call mc cable bx. What does bx stand for and why are they calling it that?

BX s just trade slang for armored cable but you will not find it in the NEC.

You will find a NEC Article for AC cable which requires the use of an anti-short bushing.

There is a different NEC Article for MC cable and that does not require the use of anti-short bushings.

romeo

Is it against code to not use the red eye bushing that come with mc cable ?

Is it against code to not use the red eye bushing that come with mc cable ?

BX s just trade slang for armored cable but you will not find it in the NEC.

You will find a NEC Article for AC cable which requires the use of an anti-short bushing.

There is a different NEC Article for MC cable and that does not require the use of anti-
short bushings.

The code section is 320.40

Last edited by a moderator:

btharmy

No, "anti-shorts" are not required when using MC. However, they are not forbidden by the NEC either. I still use them with MC for extra insurance. They come with the cable, take nearly no time to install and serve the same purpose as on AC, protecting the conductors from the edges of the armoured cable.

stevebea

No, "anti-shorts" are not required when using MC. However, they are not forbidden by the NEC either. I still use them with MC for extra insurance. They come with the cable, take nearly no time to install and serve the same purpose as on AC, protecting the conductors from the edges of the armoured cable.

Heck yea, I'm with you on this one. You can't buy cheaper insurance than an anti-short. I always use them on my jobs.

If the manufacturer supplies them, they are most likely required by the listing agency and would void the listing if not used. Read the MFR info to be sure though.

Jim W in Tampa

If the manufacturer supplies them, they are most likely required by the listing agency and would void the listing if not used. Read the MFR info to be sure though.

Depends on what connectors you use. I use them every time just for the added safety. Will tell you that they are not cheap. Think something like 10 cents each and you dont get many with a roll anymore. The better connectors have a red or green plastic bushing in them so not required. I am one of them guys that goes the extra mile to prevent a short. Not a good time to find a short after wall is painted and finished.

iwire

Staff member

The inclusion of anti-short bushings with coils or reels of MC cable is based on historical practice relating to the requirements of 320.40 of the NEC, which mandates the use of anti-short bushing or its equivalent protection for Type AC Cable

http://www.nema.org/stds/eng-bulletins/upload/Bulletin-90.pdf

peter d

Since this thread is here, does anybody know the proper way to cut and strip MC and AC?

I don't know that I've ever read of a "proper" way to strip metal clad cables, but I do remember reading that no matter what method you use, the cable end must be cut square before insertion into the connector. Using a rotosplit stripper leaves a sharp metal point that must be removed first. Since reading that long-lost document, I have always made it a practice to square the cable end.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
People have posted that areas of CA require the use of roto splits, I have no idea how that can be enforced.

Back in high school 1974 to 1977 My Electrical shop teacher would not allow
Roto splits he was totaly against this new tool,,they started making them in 1973
he said you guys will learn with a hack saw:roll:

Jim W in Tampa

If talking several cables i will use the roto split but just because it is faster. I can do just as good with dikes and in a pinch with wire strippers or even klines. As long as no sharp edges i dont care how you do it. And unless your cheap or lazy please use the reds

Status
Not open for further replies.