branch circuit or feeder ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo123

I ran 3 phase conductors and a egc to a pvc box with a main breaker, 160' run.
The field device wiring went out in another conduit to a different location, now i find out i need 3 control wires from the pvc box to the panel where i got the 3 phase wires from. My question is do need another conduit for the control wires ?

hurk27

I ran 3 phase conductors and a egc to a pvc box with a main breaker, 160' run.
The field device wiring went out in another conduit to a different location, now i find out i need 3 control wires from the pvc box to the panel where i got the 3 phase wires from. My question is do need another conduit for the control wires ?

As for the branch circuit or feeder ? title question, between the source panel and this PVC box are feeders see the definition in article 100 of the NEC.

Question on the control wires would depend upon the voltage and what they control?

jimbo123

I ran 3 phase conductors {480volt} and a egc to a pvc box with a main breaker, 160' run.

control wires are 120volt to energize a starter for a 480v motor.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If all the conductors have insulation rated at the highest voltage, you should be o.k.
For references look at 300.3(C), 210.5 and, to cover future bases, Art 725.

As Wayne syas. look at Art 100 definitions to help determine if they are feeders or branch circuits, but the added control wire rules would be the same in either case.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Mixing feeders and branch circuits with control wiring is generally okay if done as mentioned by Wayne & Gus.

Now if you had service conductors then you could not mix other circuits or feeders in the same raceway. 230.7 The reason I mention it because often time this is what many people are thinking about and they seem to believe it also pertains to feeders, etc.

kwired

Electron manager
Are you putting a control switch at/near the source of the feeder or are you picking up control voltage from there? If the latter why not put a transformer at the motor controller location to get the 120 volts?

jimbo123

I am planning on getting the control power from the same mcc panel as I get the feeder power. Using # 6 thhn wire from a 50 amp. in 1 1/4" conduit for feeder to pvc box. Now i need to start and stop a motor from the pvc box.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.