Rings for electricians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electron_Sam78

I'm in the market for a new wedding band and would like one I could wear on the job. I never wear mine on the job since the one I have is gold and it's one of the best conductors on earth. No thanks! I've seen bands that are made out of ceramic that look like metal. I assume those woouldn't be conductive. Are there any other alternatives you guys have?

kwired

Electron manager
I do not care to wear any jewelry while working conductive or not. The reasons for conductive items are fairly obvious but anyone that handles heavy items, works around machinery or power tools doesn't need anything that can catch on something and cause injury. This applies to more than just electricians.

I am not a tatoo person either but I do know a couple that has tatooed wedding rings. Hope they never break up.

raider1

Staff member
I agree with kwired,

Forgetting the shock hazard of a conductive ring, there are many reported cases of people losing fingers due to a ring being caught on something in the work place, such as a nail or other object.

IMHO jewlery should never be worn on a construction site.

I use to work with someone who took their wedding ring and put it on a neckless, still a possible hazard IMHO though.

Chris

480sparky

I never wear jewelry on the job. It makes no sense to.

Any woman worth getting hitched to will understand the dangers. Leave the ring at home.

Electron_Sam78

yeah makes sense. Now that you mention it I've seen safety bulletins on wearing rings in a commercial or industrial work setting. One I remember was a pic of a finger where all the meat was pulled off butthe bone stayed attached. Really disconcerting to see. But I haven't had a safety briefing on rings in such a really long time. I guess that perspective had been lost over time. Kinda makes the case for regular safety talks on different subjects.

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
I would suggest a 1/4 in piece of 1/2 in PVC schedule 40 electrical conduit.
no suggestions on how to size it though...

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
When I was doing more "hands on" work, I would take my wedding ring off every day after I left the house and store it in a little velvet bag in my glove compartment. But once or twice I would forget to put it back on and the wifey was questioning why I was taking it off. I told her, but I think she had suspicions anyway. After a few years I got really tired of this routine, it was a pain in the butt to remember all the time. So one day I "lost" it and told the wifey that I couldn't bear the thought of replacing it, just like I couldn't bear the thought of replacing her if anything happened.

She bought it hook, line and sinker...

About 5 years ago when I started using my head more than my hands, I miraculously "found" it again. I had to have it re-sized because of my arthritis, but on our 25th anniversary dinner, I showed up wearing it. She noticed immediately, scored lots of points for that move!

raider1

Staff member
When I was doing more "hands on" work, I would take my wedding ring off every day after I left the house and store it in a little velvet bag in my glove compartment. But once or twice I would forget to put it back on and the wifey was questioning why I was taking it off. I told her, but I think she had suspicions anyway. After a few years I got really tired of this routine, it was a pain in the butt to remember all the time. So one day I "lost" it and told the wifey that I couldn't bear the thought of replacing it, just like I couldn't bear the thought of replacing her if anything happened.

She bought it hook, line and sinker...

About 5 years ago when I started using my head more than my hands, I miraculously "found" it again. I had to have it re-sized because of my arthritis, but on our 25th anniversary dinner, I showed up wearing it. She noticed immediately, scored lots of points for that move!

I just had a sit down with my wife and basically told her what happens if my wedding ring came into contact with a live circuit or got caught on something at work. She decided it was better to have me come home safe then to wear the ring to work.:)

Chris

renosteinke

Before you can answer 'what is safe,' you have to define what the hazard is that you're worried about.

Moving machinery catching on things? Maybe the ring on a neck chain and the watch hanging from a belt loop are good solutions. Better re-think the gloves, though.

Yet hanging the watch from a belt loop, or the ring from a chain, won't help if you're worried about arc-blast. Exposed to a good flash, that metal becomed just so much molten shrapnel. The same applies to earings and dental braces, btw.

Tatoos as a solution? Sure- until you run into some neanderthal with a 'no tats' policy, who thinks your 'ink' has gang / political / criminal connotations. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

One cannot ignore social mores. Let's face it: most folks, in most of the world, consider the visible display of marital status as one of the most important rules to follow. Why do you think Amish men all have the same bushy beard? Here, the most common form of such notification is the wedding ring .... and most men would rather risk losing a finger to getting a midnight "Bobbitectomy." Let's face it- once the seeds of suspicion are sown, it's nearly impossible for harmony to return to the household.

Most electrical work, IMO, does not involve directly working with electricity or in close proximity to moving machinery (at least not of the sort that will yank off fingers). So, I don't think there's a 'one size fits all' answer. Not for every company, every person, or even every moment of the day for any one person. At some point the brains have to kick in and judgement be exercised.

Where the removal of jewelry is prudent, I suppose it's important that we explain, in advance, to others in our lives why we believe it's necessary. Just as we would tell a cop "I ran that red light because my wife in having a baby," we need to say "Honey, I'm leaving my ring on my dresser on work days because I want to survive the day."

dduffee260

Well I must be an outsider. I have worn mine everyday since I have been married. I catch myself constantly looking at it and wondering how I became to be so blessed to be married to my wife. My title now is a professional pencil pusher now though. I still dabble here and there with some work but usually wear leather gloves when I work.

M4gery

Most electrical work, IMO, does not involve directly working with electricity or in close proximity to moving machinery (at least not of the sort that will yank off fingers).

Pipe threaders can do a number on your hand, even a hole hawg can take the skin right off. I'd say that many electrician work directly with machinery that could yank your fingers off on a daily basis.

Hey iwire, thank for deleting the gore. I wasn't in the mood to see any of that tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.