XFMR ground electrode conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger86

Does anyone know at which NEC edition the grounding of separately derived current systems (NEC 250.30) became a requirement?

There is an old building (built in 1960) with a number of 480Vdelta-120/208Vwye transformers and the owner wants to know if it was required back then to have a ground electrode conductor installed. I don't have a copy of the 1959 NEC to check this and my experience with the NEC began in 1992....

The feeder on the primary side has an equipment ground conductor and the feeder on the secondary side also has an equipment ground conductor but there is no ground electrode conductor installed at the xfmr.

Second question,
When upgrading a section of a building, Is there a code section that requires the rest of the building to be brought up to current code standards?
Thanks for your help.

Generally, to-code updates are only required to whatever you work on, so other parts are out-of-scope. You could, of course, recommend changes. This question is better directed at the AHJ in case there's some local requirement.

Ranger86

OK, I will update my profile.

Las Vegas, NV

I am working on a jobsite that has their own AHJ and not contolled by Clark County nor Nye County inspectors. I am EE (PE) and at times put on an inspectors hat if I see something that is not upto code.

You guys are a lot of help, Thanks again !!!

SOG38

transformer grounding electrode

transformer grounding electrode

No laughing.
My 1947 N.E.C. handbook calls for a system ground and an equipment ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.