red box

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfm351c

I have been asked to hook a red box ( movie despencer ) on the exterior of building they want it hard wired. does this require a G.F.I. circuit?

iwire

Staff member
I have been asked to hook a red box ( movie despencer ) on the exterior of building they want it hard wired. does this require a G.F.I. circuit?

Hard-wiring it will be a violation unless it is listed for that and if it is listed for that you will have to provide a disconnect switch at it.

tkb

If it is a vending machine, wouldn't it be required to have a GFCI incorporated into it?
I don't have the code reference.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
What is the purpose of hard wiring it? So someone cannot unplug it? Think about the bazillion Coke machines out there that are plugged in without an issue.

I agree it requires a GFCI.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I looked at a RedBox yesterday at Walgreens, it was hard wired with LTNMC, fed from a 2 circuit NEMA 3R panel, that was locked. I can see why it would be hardwired, to prevent power problems from someone unplugging it.

red box

i have done alot of these here in the champaign illinois area when i first started i couldnt decide either inspector says gray area but i hard wire them with a square d qo style disco (with the look alike breaker but serves no ocp) and that suits him

luckyshadow

Article 422.51 covers this.
It states that cord and plug connected vending machines require GFCI protection.
Those Redbox Video vending machines are hardwired, thus no GFCI protection required.

kwired

Electron manager
Older ones yes, newer ones are wireless, often appear to be cell phone based.

It is still an internet connnection, yes, probably.

What is the purpose of hard wiring it? So someone cannot unplug it? Think about the bazillion Coke machines out there that are plugged in without an issue.

I agree it requires a GFCI.

Hardwiring is possibly an attempt to not require use of GFCI.

That is acceptable if machine is designed to be hard wired.

Also means qualified person should be connecting it, unlike cord connected machine that just gets plugged in when it arrives, maybe to an extension cord that is tied up to a ceiling and runs over 50 to 100 feet where there is a receptacle, or even through a hole in the wall to a receptacle inside. (it happens)

but i hard wire them with a square d qo style disco (with the look alike breaker but serves no ocp) and that suits him

A simple snap switch is also a suitable disconnect - I doubt these things have any large enough motors to require a HP rated switch.

If it meets requirements or 422.31 the branch circuit overcurrent device can be the disconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.