Manufacturer Exemption

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
Hi All,

I originally posted one similar to this in the NEC section but I think it would be better here.

This concerns a Type 334 cabinet used for data aquisition and ramp metering along the highway--so any traffic guys jump in--
I need to find out where it says that in a cabinet(Not UL listed) the manufacturer is exempt from the NEC wire size.

Situation is as follows;
From a 30 amp buss there is a 16 AWG wire that goes to a term strip--from there it goes to to an 18AWG wire to one side of a set of contacts on an ice cube relay. Then across the relay suppling power to a flasher unit which flashes the warning signs.

We have thousands of these and they are built to Cal-Trans spec so there are thousands more out there. He wants to hit it along with some other problems and have the manufacturer "bring it up to code".

Somewhere in the back of my head is a tickle that says this is ok but can't find him a referance. if you need any more info please let me know!

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
90.2(A), first sentence. The NEC covers the installation of equipment, not the manufacturing of equipment.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
Thank you Charlie b!! I knew it was there somewhere!

Also I did find out the equipment is UL listed--just that the label is optional.

ceb58

We have thousands of these and they are built to Cal-Trans spec so there are thousands more out there.

Somewhere in the back of my head is a tickle that says this is ok but can't find him a referance. if you need any more info please let me know!

Some where along the line if they were built to spec's an engineer was involved. Look at 90.7 also

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Thank you Charlie b!! I knew it was there somewhere!

Also I did find out the equipment is UL listed--just that the label is optional.

Then the manufacturer is going to tell him to go pound sand.
If you change internal wiring , you, have voided the UL listing.
We had a customer that wanted to know how we could let a vendor violate the code and that is what we told them. It is UL listed the way it is wired internally, we can't change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.