ATS normal source disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjmike

I have an outside generator with an outside transfer switch serving a piece of outdoor equipment. The normal power source is derived from inside the building the outdoor equipment serves. I have a disconnect inside the generator enclosure, but do I need a disconnect at the transfer switch for the normal source? This is kind of like section 700.12(B)(6) but the opposite if you know what I mean.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
No, you don't need a disconnect for the normal side of the ATS.

But depending on what equipment the ATS supplies, the equipment should have a disconnect.

hurk27

I have an outside generator with an outside transfer switch serving a piece of outdoor equipment. The normal power source is derived from inside the building the outdoor equipment serves. I have a disconnect inside the generator enclosure, but do I need a disconnect at the transfer switch for the normal source? This is kind of like section 700.12(B)(6) but the opposite if you know what I mean.

I guess I got to ask, what is this generator feeding? because of your saying "it's like an 700.12(B)(6) install", which is for emergancy power back up?

700.12(B)(6) is only saying that the generator if it already has a disconnect on it,, there is no need to install another where its conductors feed into or through the building it is supplying, but as you stated this generators load is not in a building so this section doesn't even apply?

I have never found a direct requirment for a disconnect for a transfer switch, as it is a switch, would you require a disconnect for a disconnect? no it is a switch? other then if it is fed from service entrance conductors?

mjmike

I was referring to 700.12(B)(6) as the opposite of my situation. Instead of the emergency feed going into a building, I have the normal feed leaving the building. I may have confused the situation using this example, so I'll ask it a different way... I have a transfer switch that is remote (located outside) from the normal supply disconnect (located inside), I can't find any requirement to have a normal source disconnect at the transfer switch itself. Am I correct in that its not required? This was basically my question but I think Steve66 answered it for me. Thanks

The generator serves a specific piece of equipment and is not life safety. Do have the proper equipment disconnects.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.