NECA labor units, why do they change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EliasCanning

Hello,

I am interested in subscribing to the NECA labor unit update service for Trimble, however, I need some explanation.

Why do these labor rates change? Running a 100’ section of 3/4” pipe from point A to B should stay the same regardless if we are in 2017 or 2018 should it not?

I mean unless there is this new type of pipe that can stick itself to the wall, labor units should not change.

I can definitely be wrong, please inform me.

Thanks for your help,

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Hello,

I am interested in subscribing to the NECA labor unit update service for Trimble, however, I need some explanation.

Why do these labor rates change? Running a 100’ section of 3/4” pipe from point A to B should stay the same regardless if we are in 2017 or 2018 should it not?

I mean unless there is this new type of pipe that can stick itself to the wall, labor units should not change.

Thanks for your help,

well, those labor units reflect real world feedback, in a lot of cases.
my thought would be that people aren't as productive now as they
were previously on some types of installation.

i'm old now, and can suffer from grumpy old man syndrome,
which roughly translates as "the older i get, the faster i was".

but i can remember when i was a young muppet, just after the dawn
of time, and first and foremost, the *old* guys.... meaning in their 40's, :lol:
hauled ass running pipe. not a move wasted, and it looked as good above
the ceiling as it did below.

and pipe, emt, and grc, was a lot more prevalent then in commercial
work than it is now.

in the mid 70's, i can remember being taught to bend concentric 90's
in places it showed.

how long do you think it would take a journeyman today to bend six
2" emt 90's, concentrically, maintaining a 1 1/2" gap between them?

i could still do it, once i found my slinky tape, and screwed up the first
two, 'cause i blew the developed length, etc. but anyone in their 20's and
30's, are gonna be googling a while to find out what it even is, let alone
bend it.

i'd be interested in knowing if it were specific tasks, or everything in general
taking longer.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hello,

Thanks for your help,

Everybody I know who uses NECA labor units doesn't believe the numbers are correct and applies their own multiplier. You sound like you don't believe them as well. Since you don't believe them, there is no sense getting the update service. Just buy it once (unless you already have the book) and apply whatever multiplier works for you. You can change the multiplier whenever you want to account for the skill level of the current crop of journeymen and woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.