Hard Wire for Dish Washer

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have never, ever connected a dishwasher in any way other than hardwiring the NM directly to the J-box.

I may have used a cord on a disposer once, but they're usually NM sleeved in 1/2" FMC, occasionally MC.

electricmanscott

Tom an appliance cord other than the one made by the dishwasher manufacturer would violate NEC 110.3(B) since the UL listing for this appliance specifically states that the cord assembly must come from the dishwasher manufacturer.

Another silly code I have violated at least 1000 times and will continue to do so. I know, I'm a hack.

PetrosA

I'm with electricmanscott on this one. Around here the AHJs won't permit a hardwired dishwasher, nor do they require the cord to come from the manufacturer. That sounds too much like the way audiophool companies are marketing gold plated recepts and cords ;)

raider1

Staff member
I'm with electricmanscott on this one. Around here the AHJs won't permit a hardwired dishwasher, nor do they require the cord to come from the manufacturer. That sounds too much like the way audiophool companies are marketing gold plated recepts and cords ;)

Is that a local code or just what the inspector wants?

The NEC permits hardwiring of a dishwasher.

Chris

Using SJO, cord-plug, str relief conn or an appliance cord is not a violation of 110.3(B).
All the componants used to make or use a cord set for an appliance are UL listed for the purpose and are not violations of the NEC. If this was the case, we would not be able connect any of these types of appliances. Ranges, Dryers, Disposals, Cooktops, etc. all fall into the same installation type.
I have never had an inspector question using a cord set to connect an appliance to serve rule in Art. 422.16(B)(2)., if the unit does not comply with Art. 422.34. In my opinion, I don't see how you can hard-wire a dishwasher in the first place and be legal, possibly using ENT if the raceway is less than 3'.

Now installing so-called floating switches, using NM as an alternative to a cord, are violations of Art. 314, 334, etc.

Art. 334.30 Securing and Supporting states in part "shall be supported and secured by staples, cableties, straps, hangers or similar fittings within 12 in. of boxes"
How are you going to comply with this using NM to hardwire a dishwasher???

Come on guy's were supposed to be licensed professionals and we should be using some common sense as well as neat and workman-like installations.

Mark DuVerger
Mark's Electrical Service

Status
Not open for further replies.