Under Floor Heating

Status
Not open for further replies.

DetroitEE

I was looking at underfloor heating systems for my upcoming bathroom renovation, and I came accross something I thought some of the people on here would get a chuckle from. Read the note in the middle of the page with the asterisk, starting with CAUTION:

http://www.warmtiles.com/cables.asp

Apparently as long as your under floor heating draws less than 10 amps, it's more safe, and professional help is not required ;)

ceb58

I was looking at underfloor heating systems for my upcoming bathroom renovation, and I came accross something I thought some of the people on here would get a chuckle from. Read the note in the middle of the page with the asterisk, starting with CAUTION:

http://www.warmtiles.com/cables.asp

Apparently as long as your under floor heating draws less than 10 amps, it's more safe, and professional help is not required ;)

I wonder where they came up with the cuttoff number? Drawing numbers out of a hat?

Awg-Dawg

I was looking at underfloor heating systems for my upcoming bathroom renovation,

I just redid my kitchen and used the warmtiles.

It wasnt horrible to put in, but the "mat" style that Ive seen on tv looked easier to install.

For what it is worth, they do work well.

DetroitEE

I just redid my kitchen and used the warmtiles.

It wasnt horrible to put in, but the "mat" style that Ive seen on tv looked easier to install.

For what it is worth, they do work well.

Good to know, thanks for the input.

Yeah I agree the mat looks easier, but it's also almost twice the price. I can get the wire set on ebay for a great price, and since I'm embedding the wires in self leveling compound, I figure it doesn't matter either way.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Labor is double when you don't use the mats. It works fine just a bit more hassle. Make sure the tile guy knows what to do. I had one guy that used either defective grout or something because within a week the entire floor was cracking from the heat. They had to pull the entire floor up and redo it.

DetroitEE

Labor is double when you don't use the mats. It works fine just a bit more hassle. Make sure the tile guy knows what to do. I had one guy that used either defective grout or something because within a week the entire floor was cracking from the heat. They had to pull the entire floor up and redo it.

I am the tile guy...so let's hope I know what I'm doing! The John Bridge forum is an outstanding tool for anything tile related. I've spent hours on there just researching thinset types alone, as well as Ditra installs, pouring self leveling compound, etc.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am the tile guy...so let's hope I know what I'm doing! The John Bridge forum is an outstanding tool for anything tile related. I've spent hours on there just researching thinset types alone, as well as Ditra installs, pouring self leveling compound, etc.

Then you should be good. This guy is a great tile installer but I am not sure he was aware of the situation with heat. II believe he said it was a manufacturers problem but I am not sure he wasn't covering his butt.

DetroitEE

So you are an electrical engineer and a tile guy??? That is unusual.

lol no, like I said in the OP I am renovating my bathroom. I just stumbled accross a funny electrical related note on the warm tiles website that I figured I would share with the forum. I'll be doing all the work, including tile, for the new bathroom.

I did do about 250 sq ft of porcelein tile in my kitchen/dining room though, and it came out nice, so maybe if this EE thing doesn't pan out...

Status
Not open for further replies.