Roadside Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an inspector that is saying that (per 2008 code) that section 600.5(a) applies to roadside signs. We have tied the sign to the pole light circuit (I know, not the best installation but it's a 60 year old shopping center and really no access without cutting pavement, new service from utility, etc.) and he is saying it is supposed to be on its own circuit. I have not found anything about roadside/monument signs anywhere so he is sticking with ahj. Anyone know anything different?

kwired

Electron manager
Each commercial building and each commercial occupancy accessible to pedestrians shall be provided with at least one outlet in an accessible location at each entrance to each tenant space for sign or outline lighting system use.

Is the (sign) outlet in question "at the entrance" to the building/space?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Each commercial building and
each commercial occupancy accessible to pedestrians shall be
provided with at least one outlet in an accessible location at
each entrance to each tenant space for sign or outline lighting
system use.

It seems to me that the entrance to the parking lot is not a tenant space. Notice that it uses the word "outlet" and not receptacle. it seems to me you have an outlet there already since it supplies the sign.

Outlet. A point on the wiring system at which current is taken
to supply utilization equipment.

Receptacle. A contact device installed at the outlet for the
connection of an attachment plug, or for the direct connection
of electrical utilization equipment designed to mate with the
corresponding contact device. A single receptacle is a single
contact device with no other contact device on the same yoke.
A multiple receptacle is two or more contact devices on the
same yoke.

kwired

Electron manager
It seems to me that the entrance to the parking lot is not a tenant space. Notice that it uses the word "outlet" and not receptacle. it seems to me you have an outlet there already since it supplies the sign.

He is also questioning if same circuit can also supply the pole lights.

But back to the code cited:
Each commercial building and each commercial occupancy accessible to pedestrians shall be provided with at least one outlet in an accessible location at each entrance to each tenant space for sign or outline lighting system use.
Sign out by the road doesn't fall under that description.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Another Idiot inspector. Is he trying to find life safety issues or trying to penalize the contractor and cost him money.

What a pie hole.

kwired

Electron manager
Another Idiot inspector. Is he trying to find life safety issues or trying to penalize the contractor and cost him money.

What a pie hole.
Sounds like someone on a power trip because of his position. Can't say he is totally ignorant, as he had to know there was a circuit requirement for a sign to even think of citing it, could just be too lazy to read what it says and assumes it says what he thinks it says.:blink:

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Sounds like someone on a power trip because of his position. Can't say he is totally ignorant, as he had to know there was a circuit requirement for a sign to even think of citing it, could just be too lazy to read what it says and assumes it says what he thinks it says.:blink:

Call me cynical because I am. Petty bureaucrats' only power is to say no, and if they say yes they feel like they aren't doing their job. We recently had a particular inspector in a particular jurisdiction fail a couple of our inspections because the placement of the components on the equipment wall did not exactly match the sketch in our design packet. Seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.