USE-2 XLP info

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

Hello,

I have a spool of cable with the following identification on it: USE-2 XLP. I've heard conflicting info on this XLP type of insulation/covering. I know USE & USE-2 cannot be used for interior wiring but if it has this XLP on it is it still a no-no?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I believe so. XLP, if I am not mistaken, is an acronym for cross-link-poly insulation.
Some cables that are XLP are URD and not a Code recognized wire. What you have has the additional rating of USE-2 and can be used as a USE cable.
Were it on XLP, I do not think it would be Code recognized.
But, please wait on a 2nd opinion as I can not substantiate the above but base it on what I have been told by a mfg rep.

mark32

Thank you Augie,

I have no intentions of using it but I have almost 500' of it sitting on the floor at the HD where I work and today, after being there three years, someone asked me to cut him 80' of it. The customer was going to run it in pvc for a sub panel, I asked him if he were sure about using the stuff and that we would not take it back once it's cut but he insisted on using it.

Cavie

Rhw-use/xlp is installed in pvc and is spec on most road projects in Florida. Find a DOT electrician and firesale it to get rid of it.

Hello,

I have a spool of cable with the following identification on it: USE-2 XLP. I've heard conflicting info on this XLP type of insulation/covering. I know USE & USE-2 cannot be used for interior wiring but if it has this XLP on it is it still a no-no?

In conduit, I presume you are talking about single conductor cable?!

XLP USE-2 or RHH/RHW-2
CT Rated, 600 Volt, Copper

Applications: Types USE-2, RHH/RHW-2 CT are suitable for use in general purpose wiring applications and may be installed in raceway, conduit, direct burial and aerial installations where a cable having superior flame retardance is required.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In conduit, I presume you are talking about single conductor cable?!

XLP USE-2 or RHH/RHW-2
CT Rated, 600 Volt, Copper

Applications: Types USE-2, RHH/RHW-2 CT are suitable for use in general purpose wiring applications and may be installed in raceway, conduit, direct burial and aerial installations where a cable having superior flame retardance is required.

The OP made no mention of the RHH/RHW-2 on the cable.
Without that marking I would not think this application would stand.
Do you feel the XLP automatically includes the RHW rating ?

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
We used RHW this summer as it was a call out on the spec's. Paid dearly to have those letters on the cable - they are what they are, nothing more, nothing less. If the letters are not on the cable/conductor, then the only way it can find it's way on, is with a letter from the manufacturer.

The OP made no mention of the RHH/RHW-2 on the cable.
Without that marking I would not think this application would stand.
Do you feel the XLP automatically includes the RHW rating ?

The OP wrote XLP USE-2 and I posted data from Servicewire XLP USE-2 or RHH/RHW-2 means that it complies with both listing. XLP- as you have correctly identified it - simply means that the insulation material is manufactured FROM cross-linked polyethylene, but does not identify what testing it complies with that can be many. So, no XLP alone does not tell me that it is XHHN/XHHW, etc. USE-2 single conductor can be XLP, but also EPR. USE-2 - I believe - stands for Undergound Service Entrance and suitable for underground or conduit installation.

mark32

Thanks guys for the replies. The spool has a label that says it's "Quad Dyke" (I've actually been calling it quadroplex, not sure if that's right) so it's aluminum 2,2,2,4 (Which are wound around each other, no overall covering) which is why the guy wanted to use it to feed his sub panel. There are no other identifiers on the cable.

mark32

100 amp sub-panel?

Haha, I don't ask as many questions as I did when I first started there. Typically they'll say "I need 100a sub panel feed" or something of that nature. When I say "I have #2 aluminum ser but it has an ampacity of 75a and if your calculated load is under 75a then you can go up to an 80a breaker, otherwise just stick a 70a breaker on it." 100% of the time they'll get that confused look in their eyes and say they always put a 100a breaker on it. Then I'll get into that before the '08 code it had an ampacity of 90a blah blah blah and it's over their head so I just ask how much they want now and if they have nolox, which some don't even know what that is.

jumper

Haha, I don't ask as many questions as I did when I first started there. Typically they'll say "I need 100a sub panel feed" or something of that nature. When I say "I have #2 aluminum ser but it has an ampacity of 75a and if your calculated load is under 75a then you can go up to an 80a breaker, otherwise just stick a 70a breaker on it." 100% of the time they'll get that confused look in their eyes and say they always put a 100a breaker on it. Then I'll get into that before the '08 code it had an ampacity of 90a blah blah blah and it's over their head so I just ask how much they want now and if they have nolox, which some don't even know what that is.

:)...................................

Thanks guys for the replies. The spool has a label that says it's "Quad Dyke" (I've actually been calling it quadroplex, not sure if that's right) so it's aluminum 2,2,2,4 (Which are wound around each other, no overall covering) which is why the guy wanted to use it to feed his sub panel. There are no other identifiers on the cable.

I don't think you can use it without a conduit.

mark32

As shwon on the attached cut-sheet:
http://www.southwire.com/ProductCatalog/XTEInterfaceServlet?contentKey=prodcatsheet51

Quad Dyke is a Code Word for #2 XLP, UD quad.
As such, with no additional markings, it would be my opinion that the wire can not be used for any NEC application but only for utility underground installations.

Thank you Augie,

So that settles it, this cable should not be used indoors due to the fact it states only USE-2 on it and the XLP only means the type of contruction the insulation is made from(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.