QO GFCI breaker won't trip circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checking out lighting over a boat lift only to find the breaker feeding it won't trip when hooked up. Pulled hot off and it works with the "trip" button.

Did not spend alot of time on it, any ideas? Thnx!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Was the CB wired correctly with the branch circuit neutral connected to the breaker?

kwired

Electron manager
does the connected load operate?

I ask because there must be a reason you are checking things out.

One possible scenario I can see is a bad neutral. Bad enough it won't let the load operate, good enough that when you remove the load there is enough voltage and current available to operate the GFCI electronics, and the reason it will trip when there is no load connected.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
does the connected load operate?

I ask because there must be a reason you are checking things out.

One possible scenario I can see is a bad neutral. Bad enough it won't let the load operate, good enough that when you remove the load there is enough voltage and current available to operate the GFCI electronics, and the reason it will trip when there is no load connected.
Depending on design of the GFCI it is also possible that LINE and LOAD terminals are reversed. With no connection on LINE side the test button will not cause a detectable unbalanced current.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, back on line.....I installed this last year to a boat lift on a local lake and of course it worked when I left. The lights do work when connected and I am sure it is wired correctly. I wanted to check it out myself before boat/lake/swim seasons start. Not only for my own piece of mind but also to ensure the homeowner tests the breakers monthly. Recently heard of a electrocution where the electrician installed everything properly, gfci receptacle failed, but the electrician was sued as well for not impressing the need for monthly testing.

Color me paranoid.......

Thanks for your efforts Gents.....

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Thanks guys, back on line.....I installed this last year to a boat lift on a local lake and of course it worked when I left. The lights do work when connected and I am sure it is wired correctly. I wanted to check it out myself before boat/lake/swim seasons start. Not only for my own piece of mind but also to ensure the homeowner tests the breakers monthly. Recently heard of a electrocution where the electrician installed everything properly, gfci receptacle failed, but the electrician was sued as well for not impressing the need for monthly testing.

Color me paranoid.......

Thanks for your efforts Gents.....

I've seen the electronics fail in GFCI breakers. The breaker functions in that it will pass current but won't trip with the test button. I'm fairly certain that if it won't trip from the test button, it also won't trip during a ground fault.
Change the breaker!!!

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I don't see what the question is here. Breaker has been in service and now doesn't test. Why did you even waste your time playing with it? The first thing I would have done is replace it!

-Hal

kwired

Electron manager
I've seen the electronics fail in GFCI breakers. The breaker functions in that it will pass current but won't trip with the test button. I'm fairly certain that if it won't trip from the test button, it also won't trip during a ground fault.
Change the breaker!!!

I don't see what the question is here. Breaker has been in service and now doesn't test. Why did you even waste your time playing with it? The first thing I would have done is replace it!

-Hal
It does test according to OP, the strange part is it doesn't test when the load is connected to it. Something abnormal is going on and likely isn't the breaker that has a problem. That is why I earlier mentioned possible bad neutral. Guess it could even be a bad connection on the ungrounded supply conductor and still give similar results.

I used to use my "Wiggy" until it quit on me a few years ago. Can you still buy them?

Anyway, will change the breaker and let you guys know how it works out.......

Thank you,

Steve

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I used to use my "Wiggy" until it quit on me a few years ago. Can you still buy them?...

Steve

Yep. I use a Knopp K-60.

SqD quit making the real Wiggy years ago. I don't know if Ideal still makes the Volt Con. Knopp might be the only one out there still in production.

I use my old Fluke 12 ninety nine percent of the time. It's got a low z function that knocks out phantom voltage when I need it and I don't need to walk back to the truck if I want to do a continuity test.

I did break out my K 60 a few days ago on a particularly peculiar trouble shoot. It was a duplex condo and it turned out there was a circuit in the common area that was being fed by both units. When I started to suspect that this might indeed be the problem I used the K 60 because I wanted to be triple sure that the voltage I was reading when the main was turned off really was real, and rule out any chance of a low battery or bad lead connection or anything else that makes digital meters give a funny reading.

kwired, you were spot on. Changed breaker to no avail. I then started busting connections in junction boxes. Something told me I may have found the problem when water started dripping out of the last box(of course) ha. Anyway, my lighting neutral was wet in the box that is rated for"Wet locations".....

It can get frustrating sometimes and I have to tell myself, "You know, there is a reason why this is happening. I just have to find it."

Thanks for all of your advice Gents, I hope to remember this one for a while......

"When you are Green you grow, when you are Ripe you rot!"

kwired

Electron manager
kwired, you were spot on. Changed breaker to no avail. I then started busting connections in junction boxes. Something told me I may have found the problem when water started dripping out of the last box(of course) ha. Anyway, my lighting neutral was wet in the box that is rated for"Wet locations".....

It can get frustrating sometimes and I have to tell myself, "You know, there is a reason why this is happening. I just have to find it."

Thanks for all of your advice Gents, I hope to remember this one for a while......

"When you are Green you grow, when you are Ripe you rot!"
Well that wasn't exactly what I was getting at - I was suggesting a bad neutral on the supply side of the GFCI. You apparently found a ground fault on the load side neutral.

Wet location rating on an enclosure doesn't mean you will never find water inside. Arrange wire nuts so they will drain, arrange raceways so they will drain, or even drill weep holes in enclosures if necessary.

If water must absolutely be kept out - then a submersible rating is what is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.