ccccccold!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gotmud

So anyone know of a code on wiring NM in cold weather??? Geez it's nasty cold here and when I can hear the insulation cracking when bending it seems to be a problem....Ive always told my contractors at around 0 is when I won't pull unless they provide heat....any ideas??

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So anyone know of a code on wiring NM in cold weather??? Geez it's nasty cold here and when I can hear the insulation cracking when bending it seems to be a problem....Ive always told my contractors at around 0 is when I won't pull unless they provide heat....any ideas??

I seem to remember manufacturer statement about not using it under a certain temp but I don't remember-- I was thinking around 20 degrees.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I found this at southwire.

Romex Wire Applications
Romex? SIMpull? Type NM-B cable may be used for both exposed and concealed work in normally dry locations at temperatures not to exceed 90?C (with ampacity limited to that for 60?C conductors) as specified in the National Electrical Code. NM-B cable may be run in air voids of masonry block or tile walls where such walls are not subject to excessive moisture or dampness. Voltage rating for NM-B cable is 600 volts.

Romex? SIMpull? Type NMD90 cable may be used for both exposed work in dry locations or concealed work in dry or damp locations. The maximum allowable conductor temperature is 90?C. The minimum recommended installation temperature is minus 25? C for two-conductor cables, and minus 10?C for three-conductor cables (with suitable handling procedures). Material should be properly stored above 0?C for 24 hours prior to installation. The maximum voltage rating for all intended applications is 300 volts. Consult the Canadian Electrical Code for further information related to applications.

ceb58

You could use 110.3 B. I have seen data sheets that state the wire is not to be installed under certain temps. You can get the specks from the wire mfg.

kwired

Electron manager
I do know if using plastic boxes and you miss the nail the box usually just shatters. I have heard cracking sounds from more than just nm cable in the cold, probably not a great idea to handle conductors anymore than you have to. Seen the outer nylon of THHN/THWN break many times in the cold when flexed.

gotmud

I found this at southwire.

Geez that seems odd...-25 degrees C? were pulling wire here at -5 degrees F. and the sheath is cracking like glass....also storing it above 0 for 24hrs prior??? you set this stuff in the house when its this cold and it takes 2 minutes to be brittle, what the heck does that have to do with anything...

cadpoint

Gezz if it's not weathered-in - then it also means it's not a secured site!...

How can one afford to put in the NM with all the thief going on? :cool:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Yea I would say there is something odd about the Simpull spec sheet. If the insulation is cracking it's too cold. You need to use your experience on this one.
As far as the boxes that shatter use the T&B they fear better in the cold. The Blue ones forget they'll shatter.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Geez that seems odd...-25 degrees C? were pulling wire here at -5 degrees F. and the sheath is cracking like glass....also storing it above 0 for 24hrs prior??? you set this stuff in the house when its this cold and it takes 2 minutes to be brittle, what the heck does that have to do with anything...

I always like to keep the wire above freezing before I take it to the job. By the end of the day it doesn't make a difference- even here when it rarely gets in the teens. It doesn't split but it is hard to work with.

Jim W in Tampa

Sitting here in FL and sorry but laughing. I never even gave that problem any thinking. On brite side your beer stays nice and cold. Personally i woul refuse to work at that temp. Guess thats why i left PA.

kwired

Electron manager
Gezz if it's not weathered-in - then it also means it's not a secured site!...

How can one afford to put in the NM with all the thief going on? :cool:

weathered in does not matter. The best theives know exactly when it is about to be covered - that is when everything is there and they get the most. Copper plumbing (if used) will be there too.

More recently thieves hit a nearby semi trailer that a contractor had been storing some copper in for their project. The trailer had locks that were supposed to difficult to remove. (I don't know what particular lock was used.) The theives found it was easiest to just cut the door hinges to gain access to the trailer.

masterinbama

It was 7 degrees here one day last week. Found a new use for my small PVC blanket. Used it to heat the ends of the 500's I was terminating stripped like butter and my hands stayed warm too.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Slap that 500mcm on the ground when it is real cold and it falls right off. Upstate N.Y. going to be -10f this week end.

Jim W in Tampa

Cooper thieves will not be stoped over a few locks. Have heard of them even cutting gang box's in half with saw saw.

You guys up north might be missing out on how to turn the cold into $$$$$$$$$
If insulation is that brittle why not gather up all your scrap wire and when it is below 0 smash it with something and let the insulation fall off and get higher price for bare.

Status
Not open for further replies.