Iowa's 2 year old Statewide Electrical License Program could be Repealed Soon !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
HF 10 ... Has been introduced and its main goal is to repeal the requirement for all electrical work done in the State of Iowa to be done by a Licensed Electrician and Inspected by Cetrified Electrical Inspectors. The Bill, HF-10 goes on further to say to return the inspections back to the local jurisdictions ... the problem is ... they were never taken away from the local jurisdictions! Any jurisdiction that had inspection programs in place prior to the adoption of the law has continued those inspections programs, until at least until 2014 ... and as I understand it they have a choice to either continue their inspection programs OR then let the state perform the inspections! The inspections that are being performed by the inspectors are being done where there were NEVER performed before ... bottom line it is all about safety and nothing more! Revenue NOT A CHANCE! However the family may sleep better at night since the service has been installed and inspected by a licensed and certified electrician and inspector. There has been THOUSANDS of hours and Millions of dollars spent in 2 years on this program and now there are representatives wanting to repeal the Law. I have worked as an Electrician, an Instructor, and an Inspector at one time. Some of the the most "creative wiring" I have seen ... makes me shutter. I may be on the verge of retirement but I have given some of the best years of my life to this trade ... and by repealing this law would set the Elctrical Trade back years in the State of Iowa if the law is repealed as I see it!
Mr. Holt in 2007 you gave the State of Iowa a "D" grade because we did not have a Safe - Sate - Electrical Inspection Program, and Recently I have seen we now have a grade of an "A" ... amazing what a little bit of common sense and hard work can accomplish! Any support the State of Iowa can get from the subscribers, readers, and friends of Mike Holt would be GREATLY appreciated to help continue the Electrical Safety in the State of Iowa and for all States of the United States!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Click HERE for a recent newsletter concerning the issue.

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
Who is behind the proposed legislation. Lawmakers are not likely to just pick up this without pressure from other parties. Sounds more like maybe disgruntled builders associations that are having problems with the new law and blaming it for increases in costs - the previously unlicensed workers are probably involved too.

What is needed is interested parties in keeping the law to get togehter and present their side of the debate. Included in this should not only be elecrical contractors, or other workers but also insurance companies, fire and rescue, NFPA, IAEI, NECA, just people with safety in mind, and they need to have some statistics to help them.

I have in the past attended CEU classes for license renewal and not living too far from Iowa border there was quite a few Iowa electricians in attendance because the class was valid for them also. Some discussion of the situation in Iowa was talked about in that class. Sounded like they have a pretty big mess but you have to start someplace. It takes years for a program like that to become efficient, and they will make mistakes along the way. They do have surrounding states to look at and learn from.

cadpoint

It?s always interesting for me to read these things. It?s always to me who?s got the power and who?s delegating the power and when an outside force mandates a change, what really happens. Who is the responsible party?s involved and what is their motivation to change to what has become a state?s statues?

To me understanding Laws of Commerce, one should never be amiss to seek it out, understanding especially what is required causes one to understand the regulations, delegations, and authorization. Those that have to adapt to the change, conform to the new requirements, or don?t like what is now required will always be the first to suggest an alteration to said situation, in my observations.

The answer should be a strong response from the parties involved to this proposed alteration. While this should happen, will it happen, and will all these parties understand their own looses of merit verses a deregulation of their new found authority? Those that have gained this new responsibility, by being an agent of such authority have some various rights and responsibilities and can step up! The real question will be what those parties bring forward to the State authorities to make them uphold their own laws? All parties involved should have to show or imply what are the real cause and effects of this Bill?s alteration. Will is be instead a lobbyist actions having more power than the concerns of what can be gained for the general public?

It would be interesting to poll the original writers of the bill that caused licensing and ask their understanding of where they stand now and what will be their actions or even vote?

There is really bigger issues that not being talked about; like what a lack of authorization does and brings to a State?s Commerce. Or that maintaining a none licensing authority, or stripping existing authority from agents at the State level put in place to governor this. The answer is higher insurance premiums? (period).

Every time I read about licensing, I always, always remember the early day?s of getting my driver?s license; It is not a right to drive, one has the privilege to drive!

One has the privilege to obtain a license in many various forms. Ones choice of vocational might or might not be understood as an observer might look at it.

It is funny that when one choice of a career involves human servicing, or well being are in most States licensed!

The State is doing a disservice to it?s citizens in repealing this law!

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
out of curiosity, why was there a question about allowing this post?
Because of the likelihood that it will turn into a political discussion. We don?t do politics here, nor promote any political agenda, even if it is likely that most of us would have the same opinion on the topic. So if this thread starts turning into a political rally, it will be closed.

satcom

Electrical Contracting like all business, is affected by political decisions, so avoiding all issues in electrical licensing and trade issues would make this site less helpful to all, business issues can be addressed if we stick to the how it affects our business and not the political views

Because of the likelihood that it will turn into a political discussion. We don?t do politics here, nor promote any political agenda, even if it is likely that most of us would have the same opinion on the topic. So if this thread starts turning into a political rally, it will be closed.

but politics or an agenda are ALWAYS the driving force for implementation or repeal. So, to some degree it is healthy and productive to have that conversation. Generally, these laws have been implemented in various states by unions, which in turn have corrupted the process by punishing open shops, many times without merit. This history is unambiguous in places like MI in the 1970s & Ohio. As always, the terms "certified" and "licensed" are only worth the process used. As I have said here many times, union electricians in the Chicagoland area are not licensed or "certified" nor are they required to be so. But as the union pushed it's members to become city or county inspectors, a cycle was repeating that has occurred so many times in the last 50 years--abuse of power and corruption--then the cycle swings back the other way. While I might be ignorant of the situation in Iowa, I am not of the undertones. I am always very suspicious when "safety" is used to validate a process when generally there is no current safety issue to begin with. I believe we should have a conversation concerning the facts.

iwire

Staff member
but politics or an agenda are ALWAYS the driving force for implementation or repeal.

So we will have to close this thread if that is where it leads.

For at least 7 or 8 years we have had a no politics policy and it has worked well.

There are plenty of places on the internet that you can talk politics.

As I have said here many times, union electricians in the Chicagoland area are not licensed or "certified" nor are they required to be so. But as the union pushed it's members to become city or county inspectors, a cycle was repeating that has occurred so many times in the last 50 years--abuse of power and corruption--then the cycle swings back the other way. While I might be ignorant of the situation in Iowa, I am not of the undertones. I am always very suspicious when "safety" is used to validate a process when generally there is no current safety issue to begin with. I believe we should have a conversation concerning the facts.

The thing is they are not doing away with licensing, only statewide licensing and the plan is to go back to what they had before which is local licensing so a contractor instead of needing one statewide license they will now need a may licenses each with a fee.

rodneee

Electrical Contracting like all business, is affected by political decisions, so avoiding all issues in electrical licensing and trade issues would make this site less helpful to all, business issues can be addressed if we stick to the how it affects our business and not the political views

good point...i have a dream...that someday, maybe if only on the first friday of each month between 3 and 6 PM this forum will allow "politics" as related to our industry...my head speech writer is already working on my first ANTI-LICENSING post...

shockin

The way this will end is that liscensing will remain in place but farmers will be exempt. They are just starting at one extreme so they have room to compromise in the middle.

For what its worth I have seen good and bad with the current system. I won't lose any sleep if State liscensing stays or goes. If you exempt the biggest offenders (farmers) whats the point anyway.

Sorry if this crosses any political lines. Not my intention.

It is good to have dreams but this one will remain unfulfilled.

Funny though that all those years I spent in Chicago immersed in the politics of our electrical world, mostly driven by the very union I am a member of, then I find a place where that does not exist. --Where sanity & logic rule the day. Unquestioning compliance with many of these codes and regulations is a violation of the principles of many in our trade & by extension, many here. If you do not stand up for your principles you have none. A lively conversation about an issue that truly may effect everyone of us is healthy and is usually only deemed "political" by those that disagree or chose to stifle that debate. I was always amazed that almost my entire time managing large projects was "baby sitting/political" in nature. Fulfilling govt. rules & regulations, permits, inspections, & paperwork is all political in nature as it varies from place to place according to a political bend thus driving business & growth accordingly. This is what truly drives our business, thus our decisions. As always, there is a balance that we all must find.

kwired

Electron manager
The way this will end is that liscensing will remain in place but farmers will be exempt. They are just starting at one extreme so they have room to compromise in the middle.

For what its worth I have seen good and bad with the current system. I won't lose any sleep if State liscensing stays or goes. If you exempt the biggest offenders (farmers) whats the point anyway.

Sorry if this crosses any political lines. Not my intention.

I don't know the whole situation of what is going on with Iowa but I think maybe they tried to do too much too fast. If they were going to suddenly start licensing everyone and require permits and inspections for pretty much all work that is a lot to take on all at one time, let alone the issues that will come up along the way. That kind of change takes time.

Nebraska had only been inspecting commercial and public use facilities until the early 1990's when they decided to start inspecting residential occupancies also. This was a big change. The laws had always been there that anyone doing elecrical work for hire needed to be licensed or work as an apprentice to someone that was licensed. But because there was so much work that was not subject to pulling permits and being inspected there was no way to effectively police that law, and anyone that could twist a wire connector on a pair of conductors was an electrician.

Once they started permitting and inspecting residences the number of inspectors needed and working out schedules and everything was a sudden increase in needed man hours and resources. It was a mess at times but after a while most people in the electrical trade are reasonably happy with the system in place.

It has taken several years to weed out the people that really are not and should not be electricians but most of them are now not doing any electrical.

Agricultural installations are still exempt from the State Electrical Act and you see some of the worst current work at those installations. Some power suppliers want inspection as a condition of terms to energize their service - especially for anything over 250 volts to ground. This has caused some dangerous installations to get more attention and cause changes for the better.

You can't fix it overnight.

iwire

Staff member
If you do not stand up for your principles you have none. lively conversation about an issue that truly may effect everyone of us is healthy and is usually only deemed "political" by those that disagree or chose to stifle that debate.

If you feel stifled here do not be afraid to find a place that you do not feel that way.

billsnuff

Unfortunately, the proposal to repeal this law in Iowa will also do away with the same program for HVAC, & plumbling.

It would be a shame to throw away the progress made to date, even though it would allow me to work without have a Master sign off. Imagine that, an offer of more freedom and I don't want it. If repealed, the will be no rules where I reside, either county or city.

kwired

Electron manager
True, but that doesn't mean the solution to not being able to fix it overnight is to just give up and repeal the law.

To the people that understand electricity and safely using and installing it this is a no brainer. To everyone else, which is what we have when we have to go through lawmaking process it may seem like a waste of time.

They should have maybe not tried to do too much too quickly, it just creates a lot of chaos for everyone that has no interest otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.