1882-1940 Editions of the NEC Download

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

.......... So, you go to ebay and find the typcial selling price for a 1918 NEC goes for around $600.00. Plus, the cover is torn, there's pages missing, and writing all over it. Now what? $25.00 doesn't sound so bad now.........

And there are audiophiles that refuse to give up on reel-to-reels, 8-tracks, vinyl records and cassettes.

There are photographers that view digital with disdain and disgust.

How many members here "get off on '57 Chevies"?

There's something to be said for holding an actual, genuine, bona-fide NEC in your hands. A book that some fellow tradesman carried in his pocket century ago in order to do his job correctly. With pride and craftsmanship. He signed his name on the cover. That very same book that you now hold in your hands, he pulled out while on the job and looked Codes up in it. He sat at home and calculated his next day's work with it. He settled bets with it, and ended up with a free lunch that day. The stories that book could tell if it could only talk.

Try getting that from a PDF.

bphgravity

There's something to be said for holding an actual, genuine, bona-fide NEC in your hands. A book that some fellow tradesman carried in his pocket century ago in order to do his job correctly. With pride and craftsmanship. He signed his name on the cover. That very same book that you now hold in your hands, he pulled out while on the job and looked Codes up in it. He sat at home and calculated his next day's work with it. He settled bets with it, and ended up with a free lunch that day. The stories that book could tell if it could only talk.

I completely agree. I personally have or am trying to aquire REAL copies of the earlier editions. I am only missing a few of the more rare ones (pre WWI) It is fun to read the margin notes and see the stuff electrical guys were highlighting 50+ years ago...

480sparky

I try to collect the ones without writing. I am constantly buying 'better' codes to replace the torn & worn ones I have.

But yes, it's fun to see what someone wrote 60 years ago on the back of HIS codebook.

backcover.jpg

BTW, the average price for a 1918 is $326.50. The last one sold on ebay was $260.

Last edited:

Strife

I agree,
I have a (least 1930, haven't figured the age exactly) megger. It has a wooden case and bakelite casing. Now I wonder how much that would be worth VS a replica (done exactly the same).

Status
Not open for further replies.