Generator Service Tap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

Good Afternoon, I am designing a generator addition to an existing building. The building has (2) 200A Services, and (1) 400A service all grouped together.

The existing demand kW for the entire building is fairly minimal at 125 kW, and the voltage to the building is 240/3.

The generator has a single 300A, 3-pole CB inside of it. According to the electrician, he can put a "Distribution box" on the generator which is basically a wireway, so he can land the 200A, 200A, & 400A conductors inside of it.

Question #1;
Wouldnt the conductors all have to be rated for 300A to match the OCP inside the generator?

Question #2;
If they could be rated for their respective ratings of the disconnects, im assuming the equipment ground would at least have to be sized for 300A (#4 Cu)?

Npstewart

Good Afternoon, I am designing a generator addition to an existing building. The building has (2) 200A Services, and (1) 400A service all grouped together.

The existing demand kW for the entire building is fairly minimal at 125 kW, and the voltage to the building is 240/3.

The generator has a single 300A, 3-pole CB inside of it. According to the electrician, he can put a "Distribution box" on the generator which is basically a wireway, so he can land the 200A, 200A, & 400A conductors inside of it.

Question #1;
Wouldnt the conductors all have to be rated for 300A to match the OCP inside the generator?

Question #2;
If they could be rated for their respective ratings of the disconnects, im assuming the equipment ground would at least have to be sized for 300A (#4 Cu)?

So after reviewing this a little more, it looks like I have an "Outside Feeder Tap". It appears as though I meet all the criteria but I am unsure about where it says " The tap conductors are terminated at a single circuit breaker or a single set of fuses.."

Does this mean I cannot have multiple runs to the generator, or does this basically mean i cannot feed a wireway that feeders other loads?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Each set of tap conductors have to terminate in a single OCPD. You can have multiple sets of tap conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.