2020 NEC AFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Not a surprise given the trend over the past few code cycles to make more money for the CB manufacturers. :roll:

JFletcher

If plumbers were smart, they would lobby for sprinklers in residences over afci breakers. If only...

Even if afci breakers worked perfectly, they are still far far inferior to sprinklers in terms of fire protection.

It appears the electrical Lobby has more cloud or pulling power than the plumbers.

An afci main would be fun LOL. And I bet it wouldn't be 25% of houses more like 95% of the houses wouldn't have power

JFletcher

The states can adopt the code in its entirety, or modify sections. For example, Michigan has an exemption or exception for arc fault breakers Virginia pushback adopting the 2014 NEC and the 2015 IBC, don't know why, but they may be working on deleting the requirements on Arc faults

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It seems that many jurisdictions has amended or removed some of the NEC AFCI requirements. Here in NJ that are not required for kitchens or bathrooms. I wonder how many places accept the NEC AFCI requirements word for word as written.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Try explaining that ‘problem’ is not under warranty nor are the parts malfunctioning and still get paid.

We loose credibility

especially when it's not an 'across the board' standard.

But what is would be the time honored differential ,used in descending ma in euro panels

works well for them , and would we finally conclude an afci is no more functionally AND incorporates the same chief operation component of a differential perhaps some clarity and transparency in electrical theory could be achieved.

~RJ~

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm sure we are just squeamish about AFCIs because we don't understand how they work. What I could really use is an unverified instance where they caught a problem that maybe could have started a fire in a real world scenario, and then I will embrace them. After all, a two-thirds vote of educated people listening to a sales pitch thought it was a good idea, so how could it be wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.